Dwp - from ESA old style to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dwp - from ESA old style to UC

Options
lexi1990
lexi1990 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello .

I'm having phone calls from Universal Credit, I only know it's them as it comes up on my phone that UC are calling me.
The only reason I can think of,  is that they want to move me from old style ESA to UC. I won't answer to them till I'm armed with all the correct information. 

At the moment I'm on enhanced PIP for care and enhanced PIP for mobility.  I get housing benefit and council tax 100 % paid . I moved to my council property almost 2 years ago from a womans refuge. I believe that's why I get housing 100% paid.. I also get Serve disability payments.

I've heard of many stories,  that people were much more worse off on UC than ESA ,in terms of the amount their payment decreased and are paid monthly. I'm aware that we all have to be swapped over at some point but I would like to hold off as long as possible. 
I'm frightened that I won't be able to cope not to mention all the stress and anxiety that comes with going onto UC. 

I've recently been seen by Crisis team for weeks on end and had amazing support from them. I see a Councillor 1 time a week. And a physiatrist 1 time a month. Community mental health 1 - 2 times a month too. I just Don't know what to do with regards of UC.

Can anyone give me some advice.? Should I hold off ? Or move over to UC?
I was told I won't get Disability premium with UC and would be 100s worse off .
Is there a another way.?

Thank in advance for any information and advice you can provide me.
Kind regards Lexi.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    They will not ring you to tell you that you are being moved from ESA and invited to claim UC. When the time comes you will be sent a Migration Notice. In any case the switch from income based ESA to UC has been deferred to 2028 unless you also get Tax Credits.

When you do, eventually, move over under Migration Migration you will get transitional protection such that on the day of transfer you will see no less on UC than you get on your existing benefits (although over time you might be worse off than if ESA had continued).

The call is about something else.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,814 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    You will not be receiving phone calls to ask you to claim UC. 

You won’t be receiving any letters either asking you to claim it because those claiming ESA will not be invited to apply until at least 2028 because the Government changed the rules for managed migration for those claiming Income Related ESA (unless you claim tax credits) 
    See link https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/benefits-uprated-by-10-1-,-esa-to-uc-move-delayed,-more-cost-of-living-payments

You shouldn’t claim UC if your ESA includes the SDP because you will be worse off by doing this. 

The only time you’ll need to claim UC is if a change of circumstances prompts a move. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Contrary to what I previously said about DWP not ringing about migration I have since read this
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/19038/
    This has all sorts of alarm bells ringing because I don’t think anybody migrating in response to a DWP call would not be doing so under Managed Migration.

lexi1990, did you find out what the calls were about?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.