Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is charlie2703! appealing my PIP decision

Options
charlie2703
charlie2703 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
edited February 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all
this is my first post so I will try to make it brief! After appealing my PIP decision I have received the decision notice and am confused whether I have been successful..
it says 
“1. The appeal is refused
2.The Decision made by Secretary of State is confirmed 
3. NAME is not entitled to the daily living component. They have scored 4 points ETC ETC 
4. NAME is entitled to the mobility component at the standard rate 
5. NAME is limited in their ability to mobilise. They score 10 points. They score 10 points ETC “
So as point 1 states appeal is refused I presume that is the overall PIP decision but on reading point 4 & 5 I am not sure…?
it’s just the layout and the top point reading refusal leaves me unsure …
please can anyone advise ?
thanks in advance 

Comments

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    I read your comments as "the original award stands" meaning the appeal (to get a better award) was refused.
    You have no Daily Living component but you do have Mobility at the standard rate.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,436 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I agree with Cartini. I assume you had standard mobility before the hearing. You now still have standard mobility but been refused daily living as not enough points were scored. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply! My appeal was based on 0 points being awarded so anything would be’better’ if you know what I mean!! 
    Sorry if I sound daft but to start the decision letter with refused and then half way down saying I’m entitled doesn’t make sense to me…
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Point 1 is referring to the daily living part only. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thank you. 
    Also, Do I need to do anything in order to receive payment? I am currently on tax credits snd receive housing benefit so do I need to advise the HMRC and Council ? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It can take up to 8 weeks for DWP to put the award into payment and pay what is owed.
    Do you claim working tax credits and is it you that works? If so then once your award is in payment you need to contact them and tell them to you’re claiming standard mobility and then your tax credits will include the disabled element. 
    You can tell your local Authority but I don’t think it will make a difference because it’s a mobility award you have. 
  • charlie2703
    Options
    yes, I’m working 16 hours and revive tax credits and am a single parent of one 12 yr old daughter. I have had a look at the link you sent, thank you. Again, I’m a little lost with all of this so apologies for taking up your time but does this mean I am entitled to extra monies within my working tax credit award ? If so, is there anywhere I can look up roughly what that would be ?thank you 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes as you’re claiming working tax credits then you’ll be entitled to extra money. This will be backdated to the start of your PIP award. You can try using a benefits calculator. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=b18f459b-1ff5-4828-8e34-3022884205f6
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thank you. I have tried the calculator but it doesn’t show any additions…
    it says my entitlement for housing benefit but previous calculations (before PIP) had always said o should get a higher amount to what I actually receive. Which, I have checked several times and they say I’m on the max entitlement (actual difference is about £45 per wk)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The disability element of tax credits will be included in your calculation. Despite all my benefits knowledge tax credits is the only benefit i have very limited knowledge on. You will just need to wait for your PIP award to be put into payment and then report the changes.
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thank you for all your help 
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Hi 
    I have sent off my PIP standard rate award letter to HMRC and my local council, thanks for the advice. 
    I’m currently on the old style working and child tax credits and just had a thought … what would I be eligible for re the cost of living payments 23/24 ? 
    Thank you 
  • charlie2703
    Options

*standard rate mobility
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2023
    Options
    charlie2703 said:
    what would I be eligible for re the cost of living payments 23/24 ? 
    Thank you 
    The first payment will be in the Spring but the eligibility criteria hasn’t been announced yet. 
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thank you ! 
    I have been reading up but it doesn’t say which amount I would be entitled to when receiving both WTC and PIP. It just says £900 for WTC and £150 for PIP … I’m presuming it’s either / or the other and as I have just qualified for PIP and have been on WTC for 10 years I’m guessing it’s the PIP award of £150 ?? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For your PIP it will be £150. For WTC then then it will be £900 but you will need to wait for the eligibilty criteria for each payment. As you've been claiming WTC for 10 years then you must have received the CoL payments last year? (£650)
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Thank you 
     yes, I received the £650. I thought I would only be entitled to one of the payments in 2023 though? 
    Either PIP CoL or WTC CoL 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you 
     yes, I received the £650. I thought I would only be entitled to one of the payments in 2023 though? 
    Either PIP CoL or WTC CoL 
    You get whatever you are entitled to.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charlie2703
    Options
    Sorry! Another question. 
    I have tried searching online and kept getting different answers 🙈
    is there a limit on how many hours I can work with standard rate mobility PIP ? It says on some sites 16 is the max then others it says no restrictions..? 
    Also, what is the universal credit earnings cap (not sure of the correct wording but monies earned before UC takes the 55p per £) for a single parent with a 12, neatly 13 yr old 
    THANKYOU IN ADVANCE 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Work has nothing to do with PIP. 
    The restrictions on amount of work relate to ESA.
    There is no earnings cap for UC. As you have a child some of your earnings are ignored, known as the Work Allowance. It is £344/month if you get help with rent or £573 if you don’t.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.