Funeral plans - deprivation of capital for benefit purposes? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funeral plans - deprivation of capital for benefit purposes?

Options
Martin78
Martin78 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Good Afternoon, 

My second post this is regarding purchasing  funeral plans. So my wife inherited around £18000 and after a call to DWP and housing benefit they said over the phone great idea and Both plans come to just over £7000.  DWP wanted receipts for home renovations and car repairs of which they was happy with but the funeral plans they claim we intentionally bought them to lose money to gain ESA. We could have easily bought a newer car or took a holiday but it was a wise decision in her eyes.  In Fact the reason we done it was having dealt directly trying to help towards other family funerals we didn't want this for our children and it also means that one of us would not have to make a claim to DWP towards any funeral another day.   But nearly 3 years on they are still deducting us as they class it as savings. 

We have written in as we did before COVID but never had a response and the only way we knew about the decision was we had a form that looked like it should be internal.   We  have written again asking but as we are loosing money and the cash out value is less than we paid due to admin fees if cancelled. We may have too.  Has anyone else been in this situation. Thanks 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @martin78

I'm sorry your thread didn't initially garner any replies. How are things going? Has there been any update?

My understanding is that deprivation of capital for benefit purposes is when an individual incurs expenses purposefully to keep their benefit entitlement. That this wasn't the motivation in your case suggests you may be able to argue against a decision to the contrary, however I'm not qualified in this area so would recommend speaking with a welfare representative who you can find via Advice Local.

Wishing you and your wife all the best. And just to note, I've tweaked the title of your thread to attract the yes of more knowledgeable persons!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 743 Connected
    Options
    I think the question would/should be - before you became aware of the inheritance was it your intention to pay for a funeral plan maybe on a monthly basis?
    Having now had the inheritance why was it so important to buy the plans?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.