If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where can I find your disability section?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
That's what Dr Hannah Barham Brown asked staff at her local Waterstones. 

Decorative image of books on library shelves
[Decorative image of books on library shelves]

In an opinion piece, written for the Mirror by Rachel Charlton-Dailey, the topic of non-fiction books about disability and by disabled authors, especially female authors has come into question. 
"This is because most bookshops don’t have a specific section for non-fiction disabled books. Where there are sections for non-fiction books on important areas of identity such as race, gender and LGBTQ+ studies, disability has been forgotten about again." writes Rachel.

Dr Hannah Barham Brown took to Twitter, sharing her frustrations and thoughts with the disabled community and many people felt the same way. One Waterstones staff member said "if she could fill a shelf, they'd have a good shot" meaning to bringing attention to these amazing books and writers. So Hannah collated a huge list, including;

• Sitting Pretty by Rebecca Tausig
  • DisVisibility by Alice Wong
  • Poor Little Sick Girls by Ione Gamble
  • Different Not Less by Chloe Hayden
  • Crippled by Dr Frances Ryan
  • Vagina Problems by Lara Parker
And some titles to be released soon;
  • The Friendly Autism Cookbook by Lydia Wilkins
  • Driving Forwards by Sophie Morgan
  • So I’m Autistic by Sarah O’Brien
  • See me Rolling by Lottie Jackson
  • Stumbling Through Time and Space by Rosemary Riching
  • Some of us Just Fall by Polly Atkin
  • The View from Down Here by Lucy Webster
  • Charli Clement’s debut.

This article has brought to light another social barrier in the book writing and publishing world. It's hard enough to get a book written and published, but when those in the disabled community, especially women are met with the opinion that "there isn't a market for our books" disheartening is not strong enough a word.

In my own experience, as someone with IBD and a stoma, I barely see any fictional tv or film characters who are like me, without it being in a medical situation. Let alone, be able to find books about and by people with IBD and stomas. All the ones I find are medical or dietary. I find more people, who are like me, sharing their stories on social media and blogs. It also brings up questions around inclusivity in the fictional book world too.

Dr Hannah Barham Brown said;

“The response I’ve had to this campaign shows that the demand for these books is there, but they are harder to find when bookshops don’t stock them, or place them in an easy-to-find section as they do with similar topics."

So, what do you think? Do we need to bring more attention to these books and writers? Do you think there is a "market" for stories about disability? 

I certainly do.

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've been following this on Twitter, and I'm glad to see it's catching attention :) I also feel the same way about fiction books, but that is also an area that's slowly featuring more disabled stories, by disabled authors. 

I know it would've meant a great deal if I could read about any character, fictional or real, who had cerebral palsy :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    I know it would've meant a great deal if I could read about any character, fictional or real, who had cerebral palsy :) 
    I was wondering if there was a fictional character with cerebral palsy, whether you'd want the focus of the story on them having CP or a main character that just happens to have CP?
    Obviously more representation as a whole would be wonderful, my question is just a curiousity.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Alex_Scope I do find my disabled characters in fiction books are in children's books as a way to educated and promote inclusivity. 

That is a great question @Adeline I'm also curious whether people would prefer the characters disability to be written by someone with a personal knowledge? Whether having the disability themselves or a loved one that did. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh I didn't have a clue that this was going on thanks for sharing this with us today @Hannah_Scope
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    As someone who had a secondhand bookshop for nearly 25 years, I can say that I don't remember having a single person asking about books on disability, nor did we have a 'disability' section. However, I could have pulled books off the shelves both fiction & non-fiction that I'd read & would recommend. These are some:
    Oliver Sacks, a neurologist, wrote some fascinating & very readable non-fiction, & if a person wasn't intrigued by the title 'The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat,' there are others, 'Musicophilia,' 'An Anthropologist on Mars,' & my favourite 'Awakenings,' which was also made into an excellent film. 
    There's also:
    'My Left Foot' by Christy Brown (cerebral palsy)
    'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' by Jean Dominique Bauby (locked in syndrome)
    Helen Keller's autobiography
    With fiction, there's:
    'Skallagrigg' by William Horwood (cerebral palsy) & my absolute favourite
    The Lincoln Rhyme books (tetraplegia) by Jeffrey Deaver
    'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time' (autism) by Mark Haddon
    'The Housekeeper and The Professor', by Yoko Ogawa which was recommended to me by 66Mustang & which is about a character who only has a short term memory of about 80 mins
    I did read Oliver Sack's books because of my interest in neurology, but with fiction it was just that the books pulled me in; just that they're about people. We did put fiction books into genres, but to have a section on disability to me would have meant that a non-disabled person might possibly miss out on some very good books.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    That sounds like it was amazing @chiarieds having a second hand book shop! 

Thank you for the recommendations, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time is actually one of my all time favourite reads. 

It's interesting to think that having a section may discourage people from reading them. I think having both mixed and a section would be beneficial. You do get avid readers who realise they need to broaden their reading lists. I've gone back to read more "classics" this year and actually took your advice from a previous post to look at what other countries consider "classics". 
    Hannah - She / Her

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 225 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I love Skallagrigg and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time! Here are some little-known disabled authors who deserve a wider readership:

Counsell, Alan

So Clear in My Mind, 1988

We’ll Show Them, 2011

Davies, Chris

Lifetimes – A Mutual Biography of Disabled People, 1993

Hargreaves, Bill

Can You Manage Stares? 2000

Hawkridge, John 

Sticks and Stones, 1987

Uphill All The Way, 1991

Lister-Kaye, Antonia 

Broccoli and Bloody Mindedness, 2016

Camilla, Bloody Little Imbecile, 1991

Ross, Joan 

I Can’t Walk, But I Can Crawl, 2005

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Thank you @AlexW_Scope :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.