EHCP implementation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

EHCP implementation

Options
EveP
EveP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2023 in Education
My son was awarded his EHCP in 2021 and was awarded 22.5 hrs 1:1 or small group work dependent on need and 2.5 hrs lunch cover. He has had a 1:1 for 3 years and has been working really well, he’s developed a great relationship and was achieving well. Until recently, I receive a phone call from school stating that ofsted had reccomended they utilise their 1:1s better and as there was another child In the class who receives 15 hours, they were going to reduce them to 1 TA between them, both children have very different needs which means that when they are supporting one child the other child will not have any support, this is worrying as when my son is in crisis he can become aggressive. They told me that they would trial this after half term, after the call I have found out that this has been going on already for a while without consulting me, and prior to their ofsted which means it was not a recommendation. I feel that now school will not be following and implementing the EHC that is set out as I’ve read through all sections F and found most of them would require the support to be on a 1:1 level. I’m after some advice really, the school failed him for 2 years prior to his EHCP, and now I feel like history is repeating itself all over again. 

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have the same problems with ECHP plans so you are definitely not alone. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey @EveP. Welcome to Scope’s forum. It is great to see you have joined us. Thanks for reaching out to us already. I appreciate the courage this takes.

I completely hear you with the frustration of not completely following the EHCP as it outlines.

Not least as you found out they weren’t completely honest with you. Do you feel comfortable sharing your concerns with them?

If you have and they are not completely reassuring or following the EHCP, you can escalate this with the senior management team (e.g., headteacher) and local authority.

Please don’t hesitate to let us know if there’s anything else we can do to support you :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • EveP
    EveP Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hey @L_Volunteer

school should know I’m not scared to share my views and concerns and have done previously which is why I was dumbfounded at this. I’ve already made contact with SEN advisors and I plan to contact our SENDIASS Team tomorrow, the annoying thing is I have to sought all this advice when I’m supposed to be enjoying a family holiday. 

I have printed his EHCP and made several notes and post it’s ready for a meeting that I’m insisting happens on the first day of term. I can’t imagine OFSTED would suggest something so ridiculous, and disrespectful towards parents who had to fight so hard to get that support for their children. I’m hoping I have a strong case to fight them and I’m hopeful they back down. 

Thanks for your reply! 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Really important and positive that you feel able to share your views and concerns @EveP. I completely hear you that you shouldn’t have to be worrying about and chasing this.

Not least when you are supposed to be enjoying a family holiday. You are clearly very dedicated and committed which is lovely.

Please do let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you  <3

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.