If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will I be able to claim PIP?

Options
psh1960
psh1960 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Nice to meet you all I suffer BAM/BAM/ PNand Barret's austopogus . I suffer daily pain. incontinence of bowel and bladder, brain fog and anxietyi don't go out far for fear of accidents . I have to eat special diet. I fall over my own feet due to balance issues and it takes me a long time to dress and undress. I have been claiming LCWAWRA from universal credit . I had to stop working in November and have decided to claim pip because I'm unable to work . Will I be able to claim pip becouse I can only stand a limited time to cook and I loose feeling in finger tips due to the PN

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,130 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @psh1960 - & welcome to the community. As far as PIP goes, it's not about any diagnosis, but rather how your disability affects certain activities of daily living &/mobility. Have a look at the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP:  https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/personal-independence-payment-descriptors-and-scores-april-2022.pdf

• nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello psh1960
    Anyone can claim PIP if there condition limits there ability to complete the 12 PIP activities safely, repeatedly, in a timely manore or to an acceptable standard more than 50% of the time. You do not need a diagnosis to claim PIP.
    You are awarded points for each descriptor that applies to you for each activity that you cannot complete relaibly more than 50% of the time. The word RELIABLY is a very important word in PIP and you can find more information about that here https://pipinfo.net/issues/reliably

To understand on how to fill in the PIP2 form or to help understand and explain the problems experienced for each PIP activity then you can use the advice on the CAB website and it will guide you through each activity on the PIP2 form and what you need to include for each activity. You can use the link here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form-pip/

It is advised before you start your claim to keep a 7 to 10 day disability (mental health) diary that will show you all of the problems you have each day according to the PIP activities and descriptors. It will also help for an appeal if you need to one because it will show the problems you have daily with the PIP activities. You can get a list of the activities and the descriptors from this site https://pipinfo.net/#activities
    You can use your PIP disabiity diary as evidence to show the problems you have with the activities each day. The evidence can be sent in with your PIP2 Form or MR Letter if you think it would support your claim.
    If you have assistance from friends or family then you can ask them to write you a supporting letter to show what help you need and why you need that help. You need need to ask them to put in there supporting letter how then know you, how often each week they see you, how they help you and why they help you. The WHY they help you is the important part because it would backup and support what you have written on your PIP2 form.
    It is also important to understand that PIP is not about the help you get but it is the help you need that is important. So if you need help more than 50% of the time and you do not get help then you need to explain what help you need but do not recieve.
    You are being assessed as needing help for the majority of times. When writing out your evidence try not use the words "sometimes" "could" "might" "it can" because those words mean that your condition or problem is not constant and varies. If that is the case then it is good to say your condition varies. If you have problems for more than 50% of the time then that means you have problems completing that activity and you should score points but remember to keep to the activity descriptors.
    If you need further help with your claim you can find it by putting in your postcode here and it will list all of the wealfare agencies in your area.  https://advicelocal.uk/welfare-benefits they will tak with you about your situation and they will advise you further if your PIP claim and MR.
    I hope that this has been of help.
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In addition to the information given above. When filling out the forms it's important to remember to also include a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that applies to you.

Adding detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

Yes, you can ask people that know you well for a supporting letter but really the only person that knows how your conditions affect you is yourself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.