If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances

Options
unoitsrong
unoitsrong Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
Hi guys looking for some advice please, I had a meeting with my Doctor who’s delved into how things have changed dramatically worse for me since being hospitalised and a new diagnoses. This has hugely impacted my day to day life and he when speaking about my PIP he has advised me to inform them of the changes because he said I 100% meet the criteria of the Mobility part. Now I’ve never had to do this, I don’t know anything about it, so can some of you help me out in regards to this matter please. I also wanted to know if I inform them of when the changes of circumstances were. Will this affect my current claim, IFFF I get awarded it will it get backdated to when I lost my ability to walk or will it be from when I inform them of the changes? 

Many thanks in advance guys

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    If you report a change he will be sent a new health questionnaire to complete and return. You will then, in most cases, be required to have a new assessment. Following that DWP will then make a new decision concerning your PIP award. If the result is an increase in your award then the change will be backdated to when you reported the change.

Before reporting a change make sure that you understand how PIP is assessed and that you think you should qualify for additional points that will result in an increase in your award.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria

If you are unsure see if their is a local advice agency that can help you.
    https://advicelocal.uk/

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Adeline
    Adeline Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
    Options
    Doctors aren't always the best people to recommend claiming benefits or what someone might be entitled to because while they may have a great idea of your condition or even how it impacts you, not many doctors understand the descriptors. I've seen many times people put in a claim at their doctor's suggestion or report a change for the same reason only to be turned down and they can't understand why. Unless your doctor also has worked for an assessment provider or has another reason to know the descriptors intimately, getting advice from a benefit expert should be your first step before reporting any change. 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The above post is correct Doctors often give incorrect information regarding benefit claims, which result in a refusal and then the DWP end up getting incorrectly vilified. They are not experts on the rules regarding specific benefits. I was advised to claim PIP for Generalised Anxiety and Panic Attacks and was refused, turns out I didn't meet the descriptors for an award.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.