Help with social housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with social housing

BayMax6 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello, I need an urgent help with a question.

Quest is for a single mum with two kids.

Their application for housing is going through one county away from her home county, but the estranged father doesn’t want his kids to leave the county and move further away from him.

 Is it possible for her to transfer her application back to her home county to comply with father's rights?

What is the process and how long does this transfer take. She is being put under extreme pressure by her landlord to vacate the house asap.

 Many thanks in advance.


  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 9,767 Scope online community team
    Hello @BayMax6 and a warm welcome to the community. I'm sorry no one has been able to help with your query yet. Has she made any progress with the housing situation?
    Shelter are experts in all things housing so may be a good place for support.

    I'm sorry to hear about the difficult situation she is facing. In terms of transferring a housing application back to a home county, she may be best off contacting the housing authority or council that she originally applied to and explain her situation. They should be able to advise on whether transferring the application is possible and if not, she may need to put in a fresh application to the housing authority where she wishes to live. From my limited experience in this field they don't usually transfer applications between local authorities but they would be better placed to advice. 

    As for the pressure from your landlord, it's important to make sure she understands her legal rights and responsibilities as a tenant. She may be able to negotiate a longer notice period or discuss her situation with the landlord to try and come to a mutually beneficial solution. 

    I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you and her the best of luck in finding a solution that works for everyone. 

    Community Manager
  • Emma6103
    Emma6103 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Why is the landlord pressuring her to leave? If it's a no fault eviction he has to issue her with a section 21 notice. The landlord has no legal right to evict her and must apply to the court, if a judge deems the eviction lawful (landlord wants to sell or move back in) then the judge will appoint a Bailiff. A Bailiff will then give her notice to leave. Only a court Bailiff appointed by a judge can evict a tennant.a section 21 notice must wait two months after the 21 notice was issued before he can apply to the court, then has to wait for a judge hearing which is usually a further two months then a further two months given by the Bailiff. I the landlord is pressuring her she can clame up to £20 thousand in damages for harassment by the landlord. If she is in rent arrears a section 8 can be issued and the same court process must be adhered to but the landlord only has to wait two weeks before applying to the court. Both sections 21 and 8 must be issued on the correct form complete with the correct accompanying documents or it is invalid and he has to start the whole process all over again. Tell her not to leave before the Bailiff has been ordered or without the Bailiff documents because it will be classed as " deliberately homeless" and she'll get nothing.  Hope this helps you or someone else 
  • PollyPick
    PollyPick Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Good morning BayMax6 - Keep yourself as much as possible 'stress free' - it sounds  impossible But remember YOU HAVE RIGHTS and at this point you can change you mind especially under your present circumstances - I know I've been through it; I had a very cantankerous husband who caused much problems for which I was continually having to clear things up behind him and housing was just one area he caused much problems (as men do regularly!). Speak to Shelter and CAB and compare their advice - next reason with yourself 'Why do you want to move away'? (You do have that right, your children's father could make a compromise to regularly visit them), You do not have to live your or your children's lives for the personal satisfaction of a man who thinks he has the right to domineer the rights of others - Stand your ground to move if you have the chance for a better life and make a good go of it


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.