Reported to DWP for having sex

salfordgirl4321
salfordgirl4321 Scope Member Posts: 36 Connected
edited September 13 in Sex and intimacy
I suffer from Anxiety and Depression and I claim ESA and PIP Benefits. An Ex boyfriend has reported me to the DWP saying that I’m well and that there is nothing wrong with my health because I occasionally meet a partner for sex. Can I get into trouble for being active sexually if I’m on Benefits for depression? Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,056 Championing
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    edited February 2023
    I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened @salfordgirl4321 that must've been very distressing.

It's quite an ignorant and outdated idea that disabled people can't or don't have sex, and if they do then they must be "healthy/have nothing wrong". It's simply not a fact, and I'm glad to see that our members have helped to reassure you. 

It's also worth noting that disabled people can also feel perfectly healthy while living with their condition or impairment, but that's perhaps more a point on language than anything else! 

If you are worried about your ex boyfriend reporting you, you might like to read more about support for harassment on the victim support website. It's important to remember that if you feel unsafe or in immediate danger, you should call 999 right away.

If you need us for anything, please don't hesitate to reach out :) 
  • dylan89
    dylan89 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    @salfordgirl4321 being on disability benefits shouldn’t stop cause you have sex because your ex made a false report to Dwp the police would see that as harassment