If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP advices

Options
Wilsonwinehouse
Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Afternoon guys, 

Just wanted to say hi and ask a bit of advice if i may.

I was diagnosed with Diabetic Retinopathy about 4 years ago, since then i have had 2 operations on my left eye and 3 lots of laser on the right, the ops did not work and my left eye no longer works as such. My right eye has got worse over time and i was registered as Sight Impaired in November.

I decided to apply for PIP in January and got the forms online, i filled them all in and sent off some evidence also, i am awaiting the assessment team i imagine to contact me. I just wanted to ask what peoples experiences were like.. Anyone that is sight impaired get PIP, been turned down, what the assessment is like, any tips really?

Regards

John

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I am severe vision impaired similar to yourself . I was awarded pip but at the time I wasn't registered visually impaired like I am now 

My main disability at the time was being an amputee 

Just make sure you relate all the difficulties you have completing all the tasks eg food prep taking meds getting around dressing reading communication and so on 

We tend to play down our own problems as we get used to adjusting 

You might want to contact your council sensory team they can offer great support and introduce you to lots of things to make life easier 

Good luck with your claim 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My mother in-law has the same condition, and has had 11 operations. She also receives PIP so it's possible to get it. You need to fully communicate your difficulties, check the descriptors if possible to get an idea of the areas you will need to focus on. I've never heard of anyone being refused PIP for severe visual problem as they have major effects on your ability to do activities related to PIP
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Westy088
    Westy088 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Options
    Hiya,

welcome :)

so my Pip experience is like this:

I have suffered from Major depression & Anxiety for 6 years and ended up having a huge mental breakdown last September. So doctor advised me to apply for pip as I’m getting worse.

I made an application in November and sent everything off in December. Because of the Royal Mail strikes my ID sent off took forever to get there which delayed the whole assessment thing.
    I got a letter two weeks later saying I needed a telephone assessment. 

The telephone assessment got cancelled on the day by the nurse who was taking the call because she went home sick. So I then had to wait another two weeks, last Monday, and had my assessment then.

the next day I got a text saying they had received the assessment forms and to allow them upto 8 weeks to hear back from them.

my assessor was lovely, he was very friendly and understanding and to be honest I haven’t had any issues upto now with the DWP or pip. 

Good luck with your application! 
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me, I have been registered sight impaired not severely,.I stil work, I work from home.. so for a while I didn't think it was worth applying because I work but I have to use a huge screen and apps on my iMac to enable me to read anything. I feel like I added info for every category but in my head, I just think they will refuse me.. but I'm sure I'll find out once I have my assessment at some point. 

Thanks 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.