Son moved out but wants to move back in

DollyDolly29
DollyDolly29 Community member Posts: 57 Connected
Hello my son moved out in November , but wants to move back in will i get the money back for 3 bedroom rate for him if he moves in? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,445 Championing
    edited March 2023
    If you were claiming for 3 bedrooms before your son moved out then yes you'll be entitled to an extra room if he moves back in.
    If your son is an adult and you're the only adult in the house at the moment, you'll lose the single person discount for your council tax. Unless your son is a student.
  • DollyDolly29
    If you were claiming for 3 bedrooms before your son moved out then yes you'll be entitled to an extra room if he moves back in.
    If your son is an adult and you're the only adult in the house at the moment, you'll lose the single person discount for your council tax. Unless your son is a student.
    Thank you for this info poppy

do i need to provide anything to them once change is made 

kind regards x
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    edited March 2023
    What benefits are you receiving?
    How old is your son?
  • DollyDolly29
    calcotti said:
    How old is your son?
    Recieving , HB , and uc 

My son is 23 he wants to move back in as he likes home comforts haha and he don’t like living on his own 
  • DollyDolly29
    Would I need to provide anything when I update that he’s moved back in 

kind regards 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    calcotti said:
    How old is your son?
    Recieving , HB , and uc 
    My son is 23 ..
    Do you mean that you are getting the housing element of UC? HB is a different benefit.

Is he a student, in work or claiming benefits?
  • DollyDolly29
    calcotti said:
    calcotti said:
    How old is your son?
    Recieving , HB , and uc 
    My son is 23 ..
    Do you mean that you are getting the housing element of UC? HB is a different benefit.

That’s correct housing element of uc , 

He’s in work , 

so would I need to contact the council and get the 3 bedroom rate back? 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    calcotti said:
    calcotti said:
    How old is your son?
    Recieving , HB , and uc 
    My son is 23 ..

He’s in work , 

If you currently the single person discount you need to contact the council tax department.

The bedroom allowance for the housing element has got nothing to do with the council. You need to use your UC journal to report a change of circumstances to people who live with you. You will then be entitled to an additional bedroom but there will also be a non dependant deduction from the housing element because your son is expected to make a contribution.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/universal_credit_housing_cost_contributions
  • poppy123456
    You will need to report a change of circumstances for UC if he moves back with you and tell them he's now living with you. You would be entitled to the extra bedroom but because he's over the age of 21 and he's working there will be a non dependant deduction of £77.87/month. Unless he's claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for himself.

Or you're either claiming PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for yourself and then there won't be any non dependant deductions.https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/benefits/universal_credit/deductions_from_universal_credit_for_non-dependants

You will also need to report the changes to your local Authority for your council tax reduction too.

• DollyDolly29
    You will need to report a change of circumstances for UC if he moves back with you and tell them he's now living with you. You would be entitled to the extra bedroom but because he's over the age of 21 and he's working there will be a non dependant deduction of £77.87/month. Unless he's claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for himself.

Or you're either claiming PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care for yourself and then there won't be any non dependant deductions.https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/legal/benefits/universal_credit/deductions_from_universal_credit_for_non-dependants

You will also need to report the changes to your local Authority for your council tax reduction too.

Thank you poppy will I need to provide anything to say that he’s moving back in?

kind regards xx 
  • DollyDolly29
    calcotti said:
    calcotti said:
    calcotti said:
    How old is your son?
    Recieving , HB , and uc 
    My son is 23 ..

He’s in work , 

If you currently the single person discount you need to contact the council tax department.

The bedroom allowance for the housing element has got nothing to do with the council. You need to use your UC journal to report a change of circumstances to people who live with you. You will then be entitled to an additional bedroom but there will also be a non dependant deduction from the housing element because your son is expected to make a contribution.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/universal_credit_housing_cost_contributions
    Thank you for this ,

hell be paying normal rent to me which would be £50 

And would I need to provide anything to them to say that he’s moving back in?

Kind regards 
  • poppy123456
    You won't need to provide anything, just report the changes.
  • DollyDolly29
    You won't need to provide anything, just report the changes.
    Ok thank you for this , was getting myself into a pickle about this. 

Thank you 😊 
  • DollyDolly29
    And could Someone clarify what the 3 bedroom rate is many thanks 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    If you are renting privately you can find the relevant rate here by putting in your post code
    https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Search.aspx

The help you get will then be deducted by the Housing Cost Contribution as discussed in a previous reply.
  • DollyDolly29
    calcotti said:
    If you are renting privately you can find the relevant rate here by putting in your post code

Thank you for this , 

how do I update this on change of circumstances I’m not too clever with online things  , and would I need to provide anything ? 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    calcotti said:

Thank you for this , 

how do I update this on change of circumstances I’m not too clever with online things  , and would I need to provide anything ? 
    You need to go onto your UC journal and ‘Report a Change’ regarding people who live with you. They will tell you if they need any information but we wouldn’t them to need anything.

For Council Tax you will need to tell the local authority.
  • DollyDolly29

You need to go onto your UC journal and ‘Report a Change’ regarding people who live with you. They will tell you if they need any information but we wouldn’t them to need anything.

For Council Tax you will need to tell the local authority.
    Thank you for this ,

what do you mean by “but we wouldn’t them to need anything” sorry to ask but I don’t understand that  ?

and im at the part where it says Is he now living with me ? Do I put yes or no? 

It’s all too confusing for me 😵‍💫
    Many thanks 
  • poppy123456
    edited March 2023

For Council Tax you will need to tell the local authority

and im at the part where it says Is he now living with me ? Do I put yes or no? 

If your son is now living with you then of course you would answer yes. 
    You only need to report the changes once he’s moved back in. 
  • calcotti
    edited March 2023
    DollyDolly29 said:, 
    what do you mean by “but we wouldn’t them to need anything” sorry to ask but I don’t understand that  ?
    Sorry, that was a typo, it should say “we wouldn’t expect them to need anything”, which is what you were previously advised.