Really confused — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Really confused

weealtat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,
I'm sorry to be a pest but I am really confused about my benefits and I was wondering if someone could explain it to me.
Up until October 2022 I was claiming income support and I was also a carer for my father but due to long term illness I stopped being a carer for my father and I applied for ESA and then they said that I would have to apply for universal credit as well so I had a telephone assessment last week and the next few days I received a letter saying that I had passed the LCWRA element and that I would get a payment in 4 months time? I can't understand it all and don't know what I should be getting either UC or ESA or something else and then there's housing benefit should I get that or do I have to start paying this myself. I have some mental health issues such as bad anxiety and stress and I can't really talk on the phone to people I don't know. Can someone please explain just what I'm entitled to.
I'm sorry to be a nuisance and a pest but if someone could help I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,780 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless you're living in either supported or temporary housing then any help with the rent will be paid with your UC. UC is a monthly benefit made up of many different elements. If you're a single person your UC should include standard element, housing element and LCWRA element (after the waiting period) You can check your statements to see what exactly is included each month.

    When the LCWRA element is paid from will depend on what date exactly you reported your health condition/sent your first fit note and what date you usually receive your UC payment each month.

    If you're claiming New style ESA as well then this will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. The extra money for this will be paid from the 14th week of your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @weealtat. A warm welcome from me. It is great to see you have joined us.

    This is certainly confusing and more a reflection of the system than you as a person. Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can help make clearer. 

    You have mentioned having some mental health issues, such as bad anxiety and stress. How are you managing this at the moment?

    Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you, even if that's just listening to you further.

    Also, no such thing as being a nuisance or a pest! Keep reaching out to us as much as you need and feel comfortable with  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.