You’ve won £100 million on the lottery, What do you do first? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

You’ve won £100 million on the lottery, What do you do first?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
This is one of those questions me and my girls contemplate when we get together. 

I think I may change my name, to have a little more privacy. That and pay off a few mortgages for family and friends.

What would you do?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • youhave13hours
    youhave13hours Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Pay off any debts to start. Give money to my mum and dad and to my sister. Help friends out. Redecorate my house. Take kids away for a holiday. Travel to places I've always wanted to go, Japan is top of my list. Buy some vacant buildings in my town and bring new businesses to the area, like a toy shop but with a stay and play area for kids and parents. Buy cheap properties, do them up and rent to locals that are in desperate need of housing. Set up a youth club using an old building that used to be a youth club in my younger days. 
    Set up something like a cheap place to eat using food from local shops that are ready for landfill but still good to eat. Give people jobs in the various businesses. 
    And in general just enjoy not having to worry about money!
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,446 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
             Take a photo of the cheque and send it to my 2 offspring.... bit like lighting blue touch paper and standing back  ;)
  • Margare93222061
    Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 426 Pioneering
    Options
    I would go and live in Australia 
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Hannah_Scope, the very first thing I would do is pray. Prayers of thanks and gratitude and requests for guidance.
    Next I would discuss with Camelot if I legally have to split my winnings with my husband, even though we have been separated for decades. If I don't have to, I will still give him a fair share. 
    There are rules about giving people money, especially tax rules. This way, I can find out the legal way to help my Siblings and offspring!
    I would definitely move because my council flat is too small. 
    I would help charities and individuals in need, and apparently the best way to do this is to set up a Trust. I have researched everything and I'm ready to put my plans into action! 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Grab my passport and take the first flight out to Spain just for a week to decide what I want to do with my life and who I wanted to give some to.
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,537 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Buy an elephant and a solid gold toilet,the RSPCA could have the rest.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,833 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My 3 children would be taken care of for the rest of their lives. My grandchildren would be set up with a trust fund. 
    I have some special friends that I wouldn’t forget either. 
    Buy a 3 bedroom house, with a big garden. 
    A few holidays and buy a camper van. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    Give thanks.

Go private for a new knee and get my cataracts sorted out.

Pay off my children's mortgages and give them lump sums.

Set up a Trust Fund for my grandson and any future grandchildren. 

Give my brothers a lump sum each with the proviso that "that's it, don't come back for anymore and take care of your kids out of it."

Quite a few friends I would help out and also a few local charities. 

Buy a nice detached bungalow with a massive garage (hubby loves tinkering with various vehicles).  Buy lovely new furniture for it.

Buy several unusual dolls' houses and have a special room to display them and my other miniatures in.

Spend lots of money at big Miniatures Fairs in America and Europe. 

Buy lots of special edition books of my favourites and have a beautiful library for them.

Take a cruise to see the Northern Lights and the fjords.  Visit Japan, China, South America.  Tour New Zealand and Canada in a motorhome.

Tag along with hubby while he buys new cars and a motorhome.  That's why we would need a massive garage! 🤣

• JessieJ
    JessieJ Community member Posts: 516 Pioneering
    Options
    Buy a new body!

To be serious, after sorting out family housing/mortgages, travel. Then buy a kitted out bungalow with a decent garden for me & get a couple of furry pals.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A road trip through Europe to decide what to do with the rest 
  • anisty
    anisty Community member Posts: 354 Pioneering
    Options
    Hmmmm. After picking myself up off the floor, my first thought would probably be how to ensure anonymity. I definitely would not want to go public!

I'd like to travel. And have a few properties around the world. I'd probably give the vast majority of a huge sum like that away to good causes. It's too big.

I'd hang on to 5 million tops i think. (After buying my properties!)  See my family secure and i'd be sensible in having a good financial advisor to help me with investments.

Im not one for flashy cars or anything lavish. I wouldn't have big mansions - just little boltholes around the world to use as bases whilst i explored various countries.

Best thing for me about winning a sum like that (or even a much lower amount) would be financial security.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    A lot of travelling! <3 It would definitely be on my list too. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 757 Pioneering
    Options
    Sort the kids out 
    Sort out family and friends
    Obligatory house and cars.
    A one handed friendly workshop

£60 million to strangers.  Just to improve the lives of others.  

• Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 724 Pioneering
    Options
    I would pay off all my debt.
    Second, if I was still friends with them (looking rocky atm), I'd pay off my friend's debt too.

After that, I would look for my ideal house I think.
    I would give myself a set amount of money to just SPEND SPEND SPEND, then I would be sensible with the rest.

I have my fingers crossed for the Euromillions tonight!
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    ooo, will have to walk to corner shop to put a ticket on, I forgot! haha
    Hannah - She / Her

• michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 257 Pioneering
    Options
    i think i would invest in a training program for the uc helpline operators not the lovely people on here you all seem to know more and have a bit of compassion money gone and rant over lol
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh my…if only…

Firstly make a cuppa tea and sit down….before I faint….😀😀

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.