If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self employed permitted work on esa

Options
darinfan
darinfan Community member Posts: 35 Connected
Hi all. I got the go ahead for self employed permitted work on esa at the end of last year.  I have been told by various people that self employed earnings is averaged out over 52 weeks.  But I STILL haven't been told that by the dwp.  I have rung and asked.  They don't know what I'm talking about.  I have written and asked.  No reply at all.  It's not that I disbelieve what others have told me, it's that I want it in writing so I have proof.  It's quite important when writing, as I might work for 12 weeks (for example) on a book and then get income from it in a short space of time when the book goes live.  But obviously I didn't actually earn all that money in a week, but over three months while doing the writing.  

So does anyone have any idea how to get such a simple "it works like this" answer from dwp?  Who should I contact and how?  Would the job centre help or would they be as clueless as the people on the dwp phone line?  I'm getting very frustrated that esa support group have absolutely no point of contact when asking questions of any kind.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • darinfan
    edited March 2023
    Options
    The problem with the guidance is it provides no concrete answers.  Paragraph v5052 just says that the assessment period should be of a length can accurately assess the current level of earnings.  Theres no answer there to say how long it should definitely be. This is why I need, somehow, to speak to someone.
  • calcotti
    Options
    darinfan said:
    The problem with the guidance is it provides no concrete answers.  Paragraph v5052 just says that the assessment period should be of a length can accurately assess the current level of earnings.  Theres no answer there to say how long it should definitely be. This is why I need, somehow, to speak to someone.
    A decision has to be made by a Decision Maker based on the circumstances. Therefore there isn't a definite answer until your case is assessed. What the document sets out however is what you can reasonably expect.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • darinfan
    Options
    calcotti said:
    darinfan said:
    A decision has to be made by a Decision Maker based on the circumstances. Therefore there isn't a definite answer until your case is assessed. What the document sets out however is what you can reasonably expect.
    I realise that.  But they haven't set out anything at all. Not even the length of assessment period.  I am three months in, they have my first 5 weeks of earnings, and they haven't even mentioned the subject to me.  I'm in complete limbo. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    It seems to be fairly clear
    V5053  If the business has been trading for more than a year and there is no change likely to affect the normal pattern of business, the assessment period should be a year

In the current situation (because you haven't yet traded for a year)

V5052  If the business has been trading for less than a year, the assessment period should be a period that will allow the DM to calculate the earnings most accurately.

So it's down to a DM. You can either chase them and they will then come to some decision or you can leave it alone and when they eventually look at it there will be a longer period of time for them to look at.

• nottoosure
    nottoosure Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Darinfan

Just wondering roughly how long it took to get a response after completing your permitted work form? If you can remember!
    I sent my form almost 2 months ago and wondered if there is quite a delay in their response time.
    Thanks!
  • darinfan
    Options
    Hi Darinfan

Just wondering roughly how long it took to get a response after completing your permitted work form? If you can remember!
    I sent my form almost 2 months ago and wondered if there is quite a delay in their response time.
    Thanks!
    I would ring them.  Mine was sent off at the end of November.  Because of the post strike delays, I rang them just before Christmas, and got told it was accepted.  I got the letter just into the new year.  So about five weeks in total.- including Christmas and post strikes.   So, give them a call.  Your letter could be missing in the post, or perhaps it somehow got missed.  Good luck (and make sure your phone  battery is charged as the queues are loooooong.)!
  • nottoosure
    nottoosure Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you, that's helpful to know, I'll give them a call 👍
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.