Unpaid Carer's Support Grant

2»

Comments

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 2,046 Trailblazing
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:

So you are comparing £3Billion CA to (£4.9 billion) genuine fraud are you ?
    Well yes I am. The amount is immaterial, fraud is fraud. Those that don't carry out the full 35 hours a week of care are doing a disservice to those that actually spend over 35 hours a week. If I was likeminded to claim Carers Allowance  for my late father who lived over 350 miles away I could have done so carrying out little or no care and nobody would have  been the wiser.

But how exactly would you police this?
  • 2oldcodgers
    2oldcodgers Posts: 739 Connected
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:

Well yes I am. The amount is immaterial, fraud is fraud. Those that don't carry out the full 35 hours a week of care are doing a disservice to those that actually spend over 35 hours a week. If I was likeminded to claim Carers Allowance  for my late father who lived over 350 miles away I could have done so carrying out little or no care and nobody would have  been the wiser.

No idea, that is a problem that only the DWP can solve.
    But I am dismayed that no checks are being carried out.

• JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,074 Championing
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:

Since Carers Allowance is paid to people who look after people claiming PIP and AA ( a benefit for people who have difficulties performing everyday activities) the assumption is that the claim is legitimate. Random checks are in fact carried out and obviously people can be reported If fraud is suspected just like every other benefit. I don't know what more you expect the DWP to do.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,450 Championing

What checks exactly would you like them to do? It's not like carers allowance pays a fortune! A lot of people that claim carers allowance claim other benefits as well so it's not like they receive the full amount because it's always deducted from certain other benefits.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 2,046 Trailblazing
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:
    Wibbles said:

They do check that the claimant is linked (something to do with) a DLA/PIP claimant but it would be impossible to do any more.