National Genealogy Day — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Genealogy Day

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2023 in Coffee lounge

The 11th March is National Genealogy Day, and it is something that is a huge passion project of mine.

When I was 25, my health took a bumpy road, and I needed something to focus on. I had always wanted to research my family’s history and thought why not?

Since then I have found ancestors, going so far back, like this.

NPG 1928 Sir Thomas Gargrave - Portrait - National Portrait Gallery

This is Sir Thomas Gargrave, and he is my very distant great grandfather. I never imagined I’d have a ‘Sir’ in the family let alone the first appointed speaker at Queen Elizabeth I’s, first ever parliament. Unfortunately, he was ever the feminist and begged her to marry, but he has such a history. His own portrait (pictured above) is hanging in the National Portrait Gallery in London, he was a knight who was once High Sherriff of Yorkshire and even had lived at Nostell Priory. Now a National Trust site.

There are many ancestors that have interested me, made me feel proud and made me feel sad. Genealogy research is known as the project that never ends and it’s true. In the UK we have a 100-year privacy law, so lot’s of records won’t be available until I’m well into my 80’s. Some countries have records that are very private and have to be requested by an immediate next of kin. Other countries have had their records destroyed by war. But, people still make amazing discoveries.

I can’t wait to see what I discover next.

Do you research your Genealogy? Is it something you want to do?

I’d love to hear any stories about your research that you'd like to share 😊

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• just4once
    just4once Scope Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Options
    About seven years ago someone anonymous who enjoyed this managed to find my natural dad for me forever grateful to them as dad and I are in daily contact 
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,661 Pioneering
    Options

The 11th March is National Genealogy Day, and it is something that is a huge passion project of mine.

When I was 25, my health took a bumpy road, and I needed something to focus on. I had always wanted to research my family’s history and thought why not?

Since then I have found ancestors, going so far back, like this.

NPG 1928 Sir Thomas Gargrave - Portrait - National Portrait Gallery

This is Sir Thomas Gargrave, and he is my very distant great grandfather. I never imagined I’d have a ‘Sir’ in the family let alone the first appointed speaker at Queen Elizabeth I’s, first ever parliament. Unfortunately, he was ever the feminist and begged her to marry, but he has such a history. His own portrait (pictured above) is hanging in the National Portrait Gallery in London, he was a knight who was once High Sherriff of Yorkshire and even had lived at Nostell Priory. Now a National Trust site.

There are many ancestors that have interested me, made me feel proud and made me feel sad. Genealogy research is known as the project that never ends and it’s true. In the UK we have a 100-year privacy law, so lot’s of records won’t be available until I’m well into my 80’s. Some countries have records that are very private and have to be requested by an immediate next of kin. Other countries have had their records destroyed by war. But, people still make amazing discoveries.

I can’t wait to see what I discover next.

Do you research your Genealogy? Is it something you want to do?

I’d love to hear any stories about your research that you'd like to share 😊

Have you got a coat of arms? (If not M & S, do coats with arms)

It's a serious question. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This is amazing Hannah :) I would be quite interested in finding out more about my family, especially as we have a history of disability.

I think it's on my mum's side, my great-great uncles, there were about 5 or 6 of them, who were all blind, and ran a shop in town selling baskets that they weaved!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope that is incredible that you found that out, and a very impressive lineage. :)

@Alex_Scope that is really cool about the uncles, how they adapted because I guess they were forced to.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Indeed @66Mustang, my great aunt told me they often walked around together with a rope around their wrists, connecting each other so they wouldn't get lost! Not sure that's strictly true, but I like the idea of it :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    It's something I'd like to get into.  A few years ago we found out we've got relatives in Norway after they wrote to us after tracing lineage, so would be interesting to trace back.

My son loves the thought of being descended from a Viking 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @just4once That's amazing to hear! I'm so glad you and your dad are connected again :) 

@rebel11 Your comment made me giggle! I've actually found a few different coats of arms, depending on the last name of the generation.

@Alex_Scope I've actually heard of children being tied by their wrists before in ancestry groups. Kind of like an early version of having reins for your child.

@66Mustang It didn't last long :D was quite a surprise to find amongst all the farmers!

@WelshBlue That's amazing, I love it when I find distant cousins / family members. How old is your son? Maybe one of those ancestry DNA tests would be a present idea in the future? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    edited March 2023
    Options

@WelshBlue That's amazing, I love it when I find distant cousins / family members. How old is your son? Maybe one of those ancestry DNA tests would be a present idea in the future? 
    It was a pleasant surprise.  My son who's 28 has been across for a free holiday.  :)

Both the kids are going to do the DNA tests ... my daughter because she's asked if she's Spanish (compared to Selena Gomez) and my son to prove he's Berserker descended.  Demented more like.  The results of origin will be interesting because the kids and their mum have dark, good looks 
  • rebel11
    edited March 2023
    Options
    My ancestors wouldn't have invented 'the wheel', but if your ancestors invented the wheel, my ancestors would have copied it.  :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @WelshBlue I've done a DNA test with both 23andme and Ancestry, and you'll find as databases are updated those results will change over time as well. I found both pretty much on the same ball, but Ancestry connected to my family tree which I like a lot more. 

@rebel11 I hope they patented it too!  :D
    Hannah - She / Her

• rebel11
    Options
    @WelshBlue I've done a DNA test with both 23andme and Ancestry, and you'll find as databases are updated those results will change over time as well. I found both pretty much on the same ball, but Ancestry connected to my family tree which I like a lot more. 

@rebel11 I hope they patented it too!  :disappointed:

Yes patented, but with one improvement, a puncture already in the wheel, think of the benefits, you don't have to get your own puncture, there is already one in the wheel, genius!!  :)

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,637 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I looked into my own family history a few years ago but didn't find anything particularly interesting.  :#  

If you haven't seen the latest series of DNA Journey on ITV, that's well worth a watch.  Was Johnny Vegas & Alex Brooker last night.  :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    I watched it last night, I love Who Do You Think You Are? too. The American series of that is very good too, but it's such a shame they changed networks and so haven't aired it in the UK.
    Hannah - She / Her

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I got a 23 and me DNA kit for my birthday with medical included. I'm waiting for the post to go back to normal before I do it 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Sandy_123 Oooo exciting! :) When you get your results, you can opt in to get to know family. I used all my details on mine, but my dad just used his initials if you want to look at that option, but want a little more privacy still :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Definately opting for that I can't wait to be honest it takes about 3 weeks to get results but i don't want to post it off while royal mail are not at normal service incase it gets lost  
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Sandy_123 Ours were sent around Father's Day, took about 5 weeks to get dads results and 6 to get mine! Funnily enough, when you connect your parents, it can take a day or so. So, for two days I was "the milkmans" :D
    Hannah - She / Her

• Sandy_123
    Options
    That made me laugh @Hannah_Scope we used to say that to my sister, your the milk man's because she had ginger hair and non of us did. Then I find out alot of ancestors are from Scotland.  
    Imagine saying that today  it will be whats a milk man
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Haha! I used to tell my brother the same, but that was sibling rivalry :D  It's amazing what you can find now! The 1921 census has given me a huge boost in my research.

If you have a child in the family who is under 10, ask them to demonstrate picking up the phone or opening the car window... Played that game with my cousins kids and taught them the right way :D
    Hannah - She / Her

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Cars confuse me today, amount of times I've said to someone, you've left your lights on, to be told, it does it automatically. Me , oh OK, feeling like a dinosaur 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.