Money advice ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Money advice ?

JustJem
JustJem Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
Hi I was just wondering without prying into everyone's financial stuff... how much do you spend per day or week? (Not including bills, rent or other expenses..  just spending money). I know this will vary for everyone, but I really need to cut back..
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I hardly spend anything on daily weekly basis bur I don't get out much as need someone to take me 

I will on odd occasion pay for a meal out but I tend to save to purchase bigger items like clothes household stuff days out for my son and have recently bought mobility aids 

I can go several weeks without spending anything other than bills food etc 

• JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    All my bills including food cost about £150 a week, double what it was 18 months ago, my hubby gets PIP or we'd be in major trouble.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,345 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to pay for everything by card and never really noticed how much i was spending. Then i was talking to my daughter and while she was on Maternity leave their budget did drop drastically so they had to cut back. Rather than pay for everything by card they decided to withdraw X amount of money each month and allow a certain amount per week. They kept within their budget and managed to save a small amount each month.

She advised me to try it to see how i got on and bought me a budget binder for christmas. I receive my ESA fortnightly and other benefits 4 weekly so it's not possible to withdraw everything for 1 month so i withdraw it fortnightly.

I allow £120 per week (i live with my daughter) and this covers main weekly food shop and cat food/litter, beauty products/toiletries and any other essentials we need each week. I never spend all of that and the most i've saved per month is £95, just from sticking to the weekly budget. Best thing i ever did! Fuel for my car isn't included as usually pay by card at self service for this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JustJem
    JustJem Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Thank you for that, i definitely need to stop Overspending so much. X
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,395 Disability Gamechanger
      Ask yourself do you need it or just want it. If it's an necessity then buy it, if you just want it leave it till next week then ask the same question. 
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    edited March 2023
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,267 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @JustJem

I budget, but I can have say one week the odd month where I've spent everyday, picking up something sweet from the shop, I've had an email with a good offer or a birthday I forgot comes around.
    I started a little trick my friend taught me. On a Sunday I log into my internet banking and I round down and transfer it into my savings. So say I had £120.23 in my account, I'll take the £20.23 and put it in savings. I can always take it out if I need it or I can transfer say £10.23 because I know I have a bill or something coming up. Doing that as part of my Sunday reset I've found I'm saving more and actually thinking more before I purchase. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.