Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Attendance Allowance

Options
Kate56
Kate56 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
How long does it take to get a decision about AA please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Up to about 12 weeks, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kate56
    Options
    I have been awarded Attendance Allowance I would like to know what day of the week this is paid please
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    Kate56 said:
    I have been awarded Attendance Allowance I would like to know what day of the week this is paid please
    The letter informing you should say what day of the week you get it.  Mine is on a Friday, the same day as my State Pension, every 4 weeks.
  • Kate56
    Options
    My son has applied for Carers Allowance will I lose any Attendance Allowance if he is successful with his claim.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, you won't lose your AA. However, if you currently live alone or treated as living alone then you maybe entitled to Severe disability Premium which may entitle you to Pension credit, or increase any pension credit you may already be claiming. If your son claims carers allowance for looking after you then you can't claim the SDP.
    If you don't live alone then your son will need to make sure they don't earn more than £139/week while claiming carers allowance. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility
    Is your son claiming any other benefits? if so which ones?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kate56
    Options
    My son gets universal credit and he lives with me
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers allowance will just be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    He also needs to make sure he reports a change of circumstances on his journal and reports caring for you for at least 35 hours per week. His UC will then include carers element and will increase his maximum UC entitlement by £185.86/month.
    The above advice is assuming he's not claiming the LCWRA element of UC for himself. If he does then he can't claim carers element at the same time.
  • Kate56
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand he receives £334 uc and from what i read carers allowance is approx £76 a week which in turn is 4 x 76 deducted from £334 uc. So from what i understand he will have £304 deducted from £334 which is £30 then you say that he will receive carers element of £185 which brings the total to £215 which is over £100 less than he receives at the moment on uc??? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Carers Allowance is £76.75/week. The amount they deduct from UC is £332/month. This is because UC is a monthly benefit and there's more than 4 weeks in a month. To work out the monthly deduction you times the £76.75 by 52 and then divide by 12. Which then gives £332.

Carers allowance then pay him separately, which can either be weekly or 4 weekly. If weekly, there will be 4 months a year when he'll receive 5 payments. If 4 weekly there will be 1 month a year where he'll receive 2 payments.

Carers element will then be added to his UC but he needs to claim this as i advised in a my previous comment.

When he claims it his UC will be standard allowance £368.74 + carers element £185.86/month. Total before deductions = £554.60/month - carers allowance £332. Total UC after deductions is £226.60/month.
    Plus the carers allowance as a separate payment.
    Whether he claims carers allowance or not, his total benefits entitlement will remain the same. He doesn't need to claim carers allowance to be entitled to carers element.
    *please note the figures quoted are the new April increase amounts* Those amounts do not apply to UC payments until at least 16th May for some but as late as June payment for others.
  • Kate56
    Options
    I receive attendance allowance I would like to know if I am entitled to free prescription glassss I understand I am entitled to a free eye test being over 60.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, AA doesn't automatically entitle you to a NHS optical voucher. If you're claiming Pension Credit then you'll be entitled. Otherwise you can look at applying for the NHS low income scheme.

• Kate56
    Options
    My son receives UC and has had a successful claim for Carers Allowance to care for myself does this now mean he isn't entitled to cost of living payment?
    I am a bit lost in this world of benefit entitlements and am grateful that this forum is here Thank you for all invaluable information its very much appreciated, I still have so many questions to ask
  • poppy123456
    Options
    He’ll still be entitled to the cost of living payment of £301 if he was entitled to a payment of UC for an assessment period that ended between 26th Jan and 25th Feb.

The carers allowance will just be deducted in full from his UC entitlement. So there’s no financial gain to claiming it. He also needs to make sure he reports a change of circumstances on his journal and reports caring for you. His UC will then include the carers element. 

His overall benefits entitlement will increase by £185.86/month. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.