Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Help with child tax/benefits

smeggy Community member Posts: 18 Listener

So basically I’ll try and not confuse you, basically I have 1 biological child and 2 step and my 2 step kids live with us. We get child tax/child benefit for them. Currently pregnant with twins, how will money work do the twins need to be in my name to get the benefits as he has 2 kids already. I’m so confused on how the system works nowadays can someone help me please?


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Given that as a couple you already get support for three children you will not get any extra money for two more children other than Child Benefit.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think you can get  money for more than 3 children other than the CB as mentioned above so Tax Credits is irrelevant.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.