Working from home request — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Working from home request

Options
BellaBoo0512
BellaBoo0512 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi I currently work 2 full days per week. In my contract this should be one day from home and one day in the office. I suffer with chronic pain so my employer has been allowing me to work from home ongoing until I am in less pain and able to go in to the office. 

The thing is, I don’t see my pain improving any time soon. I have to ask every week if I’m okay working from home because of the pain. Am I within my rights to request to work from home permanently or could this cause me problems? I feel like messaging my employer every week that eventually they are going to turn around and say I need to go back into the office. 

I’m in no less pain working from home than I would be going in to the office but I’m struggling with driving and if I go into the office it means getting up an hour earlier and having to drive there and back home. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @BellaBoo0512 is this something you're able to speak about with HR, or your manager? It sounds like you've got flexible working in place as a reasonable adjustment.

I don't think there's any harm in reviewing this adjustment if you feel you need to to work at your best. Perhaps you can ask for a meeting with your employer to chat about this.

Are you a member of a union at all? It may be helpful to have a union representative, or else a trusted colleague, with you. They can support you in meeting with your employer.

If you'd like to read guidance on reasonable adjustments, ACAS has information on reviewing reasonable adjustments, which I hope is helpful. 

If there's anything I've missed, please let me know :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • JeannieF
    JeannieF Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi @BellaBoo0512 is this something you're able to speak about with HR, or your manager? It sounds like you've got flexible working in place as a reasonable adjustment.

I don't think there's any harm in reviewing this adjustment if you feel you need to to work at your best. Perhaps you can ask for a meeting with your employer to chat about this.

Are you a member of a union at all? It may be helpful to have a union representative, or else a trusted colleague, with you. They can support you in meeting with your employer.

If you'd like to read guidance on reasonable adjustments, ACAS has information on reviewing reasonable adjustments, which I hope is helpful. 

If there's anything I've missed, please let me know :) 
    Hi Alex, I have a similar issue. It’s a small company and we have no HR dept or a union. Do you know if I can get someone from somewhere to attend a meeting with my employer to help support me? I don’t think my boss will listen to me but if I had someone there with me he might listen. 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 494 Pioneering
    Options
    @BellaBoo0512
    @jennief

Under the Flexible Working Regulations 2014, employees who have been with the same employer for at least 26 weeks have the right to request flexible working arrangements. Although employers are required to give these requests serious consideration, they can deny them if there are valid business reasons for doing so.

To initiate the process, Bella, Jennie, you must submit a written request to your employer. To strengthen  your case, you might want to consider including a letter from your doctor. or other supporting evidence as to why you are requesting it. Once your employer receives your request, they are legally obligated to review it and provide a response within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 15
    Options
    Hello @JeannieF

Welcome to the community! :) Unfortunately, Alex doesn't work here anymore but I see MW123 has given some great advice :) As for having someone with you for anything in person, you can join a union yourself if you feel that would be beneficial.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,020 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @JeannieF

Welcome to the community! :) Unfortunately, Alex doesn't work here anymore but I see MW123 has given some great advice :) As for having someone with you for anything in person, you can join a union yourself if you feel that would be beneficial.
    Sorry you cannot just join a Union to help with an ongoing problem. You usually have to be a member before they can help with these types of issues. 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Cressida But you can join a union for further advice and see where they could support. They can also have a lot of information pages available, but some are only able to be accessed once a member. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.