Best thing found in charity shop — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Best thing found in charity shop

Options
JBS2022
JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
What are the best things you have found at a charity shop or car boot sale?

I found a Moorcroft Vase at a BHF charity shop and it ended up being worth a few hundred quid I only paid a £1 for it. I buy all my vinyl records for 50p from my local carboot.
Life is better in a fishtank  🐟

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My hubby lovessssss car boots, the only time he gets up mega early is when he's planning to visit one ha ha, he is a collector of Dinky and Corgi old vehicles and he always thinks he'l find a rare collectable, so always on the hunt, mind you he did find one a few years ago and only paid a pound for it and he sold it for £75 so there must still be stuff about, gets him out walking anyway  :D 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My best find wasn't valuable in cash terms buf to me it was . I found a perfect cushion for my wheelchair in a charity shop . I spotted a set of armchairs and the seat cushion was perfect . I knew they wouldn't be able to sell the chair without the cushion but they were only £20 for pair of chairs so I bought them and just took the cushion let them keep the chairs 

Well worth it to me for comfort and a proper wheelchair cushion would have cost lots more 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Brilliant @janer1967 well worth looking about, our youngest has said there's a great charity shop over their way that does a lot of disability aides, were hoping to go over and have a nose, xx
  • janer1967
    Options
    @SueHeath yes charity shops are good places to pick up aids our local one usually has walking frames and toilet frames etc and bigger one near town has wheelchair and even mobility scooters 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Yep will have a look about, i know i brought my special cushions online, but you can spend a flipping fortune experimenting on comfort. Hope you don't mind me asking @janer1967 but did you have to buy all your aids etc xx
  • janer1967
    Options
    @SueHeath no most were supplied through ot assessment but I have bought a portable toilet frame myself and my latest wheelchair as was disgusted with treatment of wheelchair services 

Also bought my power pack for my chair 

The stuff from ot comes from British Red Cross on lease but no charge but have to return if you don't need them so no doubt the stuff you find in charity shops probably belongs to brc 

If you want something other than very basic though you need to buy your own 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I buy all my vinyl CDs and DVD from a charity shop for 30p each, a recent reduction.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,864 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    i buy the odd bluray from the charity shop, nothing very exciting, but i only pay a pound each, so thats good
  • Anglocath
    Anglocath Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    I have no talent for spotting collectibles or antiques so useless at making money but I do love buying books at charity shops. I also got a recliner chair from the British Heart Foundation charity shop and a gothic Welsh dresser that I use in my lounge. It has a great big cupboard and I use the shelves on it for books. As I'm quite large never look for clothes but I did get a trivial pursuit for £5  the cost a lot new
  • SueHeath
    Options
    You can get some great bargains in Charity shops @Anglocath and i think there great for books, jigsaws etc.
    I've always said, if someone is setting up home they are great places for furniture, pots and pans etc i love the idea of recycling.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,432 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Books I read a lot so bargains in Charity shops are great.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.