In social housing? Here's how to get your problems put right. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In social housing? Here's how to get your problems put right.

Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

This last week has seen the roll out of a new government campaign 'Make things right'. Aimed at making the complaints process easier for social housing issues, the new approach sees just two steps to getting a resolution. 

Wheelchair user navigating a doorway without ramp access Text reads unacceptable

The problem

Everyone deserves a home that is safe, secure and well-maintained. However, it’s estimated that around a quarter of social housing residents are currently experiencing problems with their housing, such as mould, incomplete repairs and lack of accessibility requirements.  

How to make a complaint about social housing

Taken from the Make it right website:
If you’re unhappy with the service from your landlord you should make a complaint to them first.
Complaints could include:
  • repairs and maintenance
  • issues with communal areas
  • health and safety issues
  • anti-social behaviour
  • customer service
Be assured, you shouldn’t be penalised for making a complaint and it will not affect your tenancy.

Your landlord will typically have 2 stages to their complaints procedure, and each stage takes around 10-20 working days for them to respond.

If you’re unhappy with the response from your landlord then you can make a complaint to the Housing Ombudsman. The Housing Ombudsman will investigate fairly and impartially.

Advice on how to make an effective complaint can be found in this guide.

Find out how to escalate your complaint to the Housing Ombudsman.

Alternatively, you could contact your MPcouncillor, or Tenant Panel who may be able to help you resolve the issue.

Your thoughts

  • What is your opinion on the new streamlined pathway for making social housing complaints?
  • Do you feel confident in how to make complaints going forwards?
Let us know in the comments below.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.