If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is FrankV!

Options
FrankV
FrankV Community member Posts: 23 Connected
Hi all, I am a mature adult male suffering with a long term severe anxiety and depression disorder which also satisfies the basic legal test for being classified as a disability, a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010. My classification came as a surprise to me, but since then I have realised the extent to which I have been subjected to disability discrimination, both at work and in the public services. Since 2018 I have been pursuing 2 legal battles, both of which have so far failed dismally due to the ignorance regarding mental health, unconscious prejudice from Justice's involved and a lack of support from the wider community. I have come to realise just how poorly the disabled community as a whole, ie 14+million people in the UK are affected by the lack of knowledge and understanding with regards to rights and legislation, even amongst the peers themselves. I have not been successful in securing any form of legal assistance, and those whom I have approached are vehemently against even making an effort to help, despite what is written in legislation. Nevertheless, onwards and upwards I am determined not to let the system get the better of me or indeed you! I'm so pleased to find myself here and to be able to join a community of people who need each other. 
Please do NOT signpost me to the general charities which include MIND or SAMARITANS etc for help because that is a trigger for my anxiety. I know you mean well, but everyone is different and it just does not work for me, I've tried. 

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,897 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there welcome to the community my name is Jaide also known as @durhamjaide2001 I'm so sorry your post has been left for a while but please note we do try and respond as soon as we can. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Hello @FrankV and a warm welcome to our online community, how are you keeping today?

I'm sorry your experience with the legal process has been so poor. I agree that most systems in place are complex and not designed for the average layperson to access and benefit from. However, you have come across a community of allies here, and we would love to get to know you better and learn about your lived experience.

Please do make yourself at home, and perhaps take a browse through our different categories to see what interests you?

Best wishes and I hope you have a lovely Thursday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • FrankV
    FrankV Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    @Cher_Scope many thanks for the warm welcome, I look forward to my journey to recovery and hope I find solace in my new found 'allies'. I hope to be able to contribute to the forum in order to learn and share positive reinforcement amongst the forgotten demographic. 
    Please do NOT signpost me to the general charities which include MIND or SAMARITANS etc for help because that is a trigger for my anxiety. I know you mean well, but everyone is different and it just does not work for me, I've tried. 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @FrankV welcome to the forum
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.