Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, I'm Pravina1957! Anyone appealed against a bereavement support payment?

Pravina1957 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Anyone appealed against a bereavement support payment if husband passed away from illness and couldn't pay N I 


  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,740 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Hello @Pravina1957 and a warm welcome to our community, how are you keeping?

    I'm sorry to hear of your loss, if this sadly relates to your own husband. I hope you have a robust support network to lean on, and we are always only a click away if you need some virtual company and comfort.

    I can see through looking at the Bereavement Support Payment government webpage, that eligibility is dependent on:
    When your partner died, you must have been:Your partner must have either:
    • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
    You cannot claim Bereavement Support Payment if you’re in prison.
    Have you had confirmation that your husband had not accrued enough stamp? There is a Bereavement support payment helpline who you can contact on:
    Telephone: 0800 151 2012
    Welsh language: 0800 731 0453
    Textphone: 0800 731 0464
    Welsh language: 0800 731 0456
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 151 2012
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

    Whilst, I'd be interested to know if any of our members have successfully heard of this being challenged?

    For your information, I've amended the title of your thread and moved it to our Benefits and financial support category to help others spot it and respond.

    Wishing you all the best. Take care and have a lovely weekend.

    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.