Guidance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Guidance

Options
elise84
elise84 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Just wondering what the best way is to get a flat etc on the ground floor, im currently on the 3rd floor with no lift

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you living in private or social housing? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • elise84
    Options
    social housing 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    If you have any disabilities or health issues you could ask for an occupational therapist assessment, they would come and visit you and have a look around, they would see if they can make your current home suitable, failing that they might be able to put you on a higher banding if they think that your home isn’t suitable.

You could also look into doing a mutual exchange if the above isn’t possible.

Depending on your area both of these would take a fair amount of time.

If you don’t mind me asking do you have any disabilities or health issues that make your current home unsuitable?
  • elise84
    Options
    its the stairs tbh thats an issue, im on the 3rd floor, with arthritis. An exchange is difficult due to me having a large 3 bed appartment and housing dont allow children, 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    You can ask for an occupational health assessment but bare in mind if you live alone you will only be offered 1 bedrooms and the wait time can be many years(depending on if they think your a priority and current demand, as it will be downsizing(that’s if your living alone?) it might be a little faster 
  • elise84
    Options
    i live alone but i was offered a 3 bedroom literally a year ago. so i do believe its area depending
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @elise84

I see you've had some great advice, I would also echo contacting the housing association just to see what they could do :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    I would see if you can get a 'risk assessment' done, this is all hypothetical, a possible scenario (that hopefully won't happen) in case of fire, with your condition and 'speed being of the essence', you are in a 'vulnerable' position.   
  • elise84
    Options
    Thank you rebel, i spoke with my housing and they suggested that 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds positive that suggestions are, at least, quite consistent for you at the moment @elise84. How are you feeling about this suggestion?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • elise84
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You put 'they suggested that' @elise84 :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.