Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Guidance

Options
elise84
elise84 Community member Posts: 41 Connected
Just wondering what the best way is to get a flat etc on the ground floor, im currently on the 3rd floor with no lift

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you living in private or social housing? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • elise84
    Options
    social housing 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    Options
    If you have any disabilities or health issues you could ask for an occupational therapist assessment, they would come and visit you and have a look around, they would see if they can make your current home suitable, failing that they might be able to put you on a higher banding if they think that your home isn’t suitable.

You could also look into doing a mutual exchange if the above isn’t possible.

Depending on your area both of these would take a fair amount of time.

If you don’t mind me asking do you have any disabilities or health issues that make your current home unsuitable?
  • elise84
    Options
    its the stairs tbh thats an issue, im on the 3rd floor, with arthritis. An exchange is difficult due to me having a large 3 bed appartment and housing dont allow children, 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    Options
    You can ask for an occupational health assessment but bare in mind if you live alone you will only be offered 1 bedrooms and the wait time can be many years(depending on if they think your a priority and current demand, as it will be downsizing(that’s if your living alone?) it might be a little faster 
  • elise84
    Options
    i live alone but i was offered a 3 bedroom literally a year ago. so i do believe its area depending
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @elise84

I see you've had some great advice, I would also echo contacting the housing association just to see what they could do :)
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    Options
    I would see if you can get a 'risk assessment' done, this is all hypothetical, a possible scenario (that hopefully won't happen) in case of fire, with your condition and 'speed being of the essence', you are in a 'vulnerable' position.   
  • elise84
    Options
    Thank you rebel, i spoke with my housing and they suggested that 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds positive that suggestions are, at least, quite consistent for you at the moment @elise84. How are you feeling about this suggestion?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • elise84
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You put 'they suggested that' @elise84 :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.