asked to sign something I could not read — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

asked to sign something I could not read

Options
Philonline
Philonline Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
Here Is a question I hope someone can answer, background Male 61 yo disabled In sheltered Accommodation Yesterday my housing officer manager called in to update my care and Needs details or so I was told? I answered lots of questions from her little tablet and at the end she passed the tablet to me with a good sized grey signature box to scribble in with your finger nail no plastic scribe provided, I could not see anything like questions or reason for a signature but to get rid of her I signed, is this legal to ask somebody for a signature for something they cannot read ?

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't know the legalities but it doesn't sound right. I know I'd have signed as well as when put on the spot I just do what's easiest to get rid of the other person but I think it's awful when people do that without explaining what someone is signing. 

I'd put your concerns in writing to them and ask them to explain what it was. It may help if down the line it turns out to be something negative and at the very least they might re-look at their practices and do it better in future <3 
  • Philonline
    Options
    I don't know the legalities but it doesn't sound right. I know I'd have signed as well as when put on the spot I just do what's easiest to get rid of the other person but I think it's awful when people do that without explaining what someone is signing. 

I'd put your concerns in writing to them and ask them to explain what it was. It may help if down the line it turns out to be something negative and at the very least they might re-look at their practices and do it better in future <3 
    I complained to my housing authority this morning via their online complaints and feedback system, it will be interesting to see what they say, I also said if they required my signature for anything in the future send it on paper or they wont get it.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    To put your mind at rest, just send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to send you all the data for that day. In your request, give them the date, so you only want data for that date. You can make the request online.
  • Philonline
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    To put your mind at rest, just send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to send you all the data for that day. In your request, give them the date, so you only want data for that date. You can make the request online.
    Cheers Rebel that sounds good it may also make them think about the way they handle this sort of thing if that's what it was?
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @philonline, Please keep us updated :) If you need further advice I would also think about reaching out to Citizen's Advice
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • rebel11
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Cheers Rebel that sounds good it may also make them think about the way they handle this sort of thing if that's what it was?
    The ICO's standard template -

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/preparing-and-submitting-your-subject-access-request/
  • Philonline
    Options
    I gave them the stated time they required to investigate and right on the dot the chief housing officer phoned me today and said there was no issues and nothing to worry about as they are trying to do more things on the tablets too save the trees, myself its it's more like save money, I voiced my concerns as I have trust issues after being ripped of before just signing things without reading them and she said from now on all my needed forms and questionnaires would be printed on paper, that's not going to help blind and dementia sufferers that live in this and other sheltered accommodation housings in this area.
  • rebel11
    Options
    Maybe send a letter with your concerns, arrange a meeting between yourself / others that share the same concerns with the Chief Housing Officer.   
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm lucky enough that I can see everything with my eye condition but I get tired very easily 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.