On Esa / Pip and have alzheimer's — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

On Esa / Pip and have alzheimer's

fish92 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
On Esa / Pip and have alzheimer's. 
Son claims carer's allowance for looking after me.
He has Fibromyalgia and has tried to claim ESA, he got a letter and given £5.30 ??? Dont understand why but awaiting sending in sick notes etc.
Got letter with this saying they have stopped his carer's money, but this is all he get and cannot live on the small amount they said they will give him on ESA.
Can anyone help please. 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be New style ESA that he's claimed. Carers allowance and this are both classed as overlapping benefits and you can't be paid them both together.

    Has he checked entitlement to Universal Credit? It's a means tested benefit so if he lives with a partner they will need to claim as a couple. If he has savings/capital of more than £16,000 then he's excluded from claiming.

    The ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As a carer the UC will also include the carers element. He can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    I would just like to add a warm welcome @fish92. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.