If it helps anyone … — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If it helps anyone …

Options
louise22120
louise22120 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi Everyone, 

New here. 

Just thought I would share my story as it may help others who are going through it. 

I rang PIP in October, and asked for a form. They provided a reference number to do this online, I only completed around two lines and decided I didnt want to do it, as the stories I have heard and the assessments made me nervous. 

I recieved a text message from PIP (in February) to advise they was doing the assessment over the telephone on such a date (I rang and asked why when I hadn’t completed the form, they advised they have a vulnerability marker that flags up people) 

I had my assessment in February, my friend said you can request the report so I did. And my god I have never read so many lies, she lied about everything and missed out information that was important what I had said, mainly about my consultants. I rang and asked for them to appeal it. 

Within the last few weeks I have been a nervous wreck (they make you feel like this by interrogating you like you are lying) I uploaded all my evidence. What I did do is write a 15 page letter explaining everything I wanted to explain on the call, (the lady was constantly cutting me off when I tried explaining stuff and she was making me feel really down) I uploaded the letter and three days later, I received a call. A lovely lady (think she was the decision maker) to go through some questions (she did say she would make it short as she could tell I was nervous) she asked me about medications etc but I have memory problems (I have seizures) 

Her words were “Im awarding you enhanced on both) now the reason I write this is because if you are going through the same write a letter and explain everything in that letter. I genuinely believe my letter helped her decision as I havent had my reports from my consultants yet, she said I didnt have to upload them to her. But I will. 

Thanks for reading. Dont mind helping anyone either 😊 

ps I am new here so if I have done anything wrong, I apologise. I can add my health conditions if anyone is in the same as me. 

Comments

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    Well done, unfortunately assessors can write anything they want, they often do, it can be disheartening, but you are a great example of perseverance.  :)

• louise22120
    louise22120 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    @rebel11 thank you. Theres no need for it though it makes people so upset. My anxiety was that bad, I had another seizure. I have PNES (psycogenic non epileptic seizures caused by extreme anxiety) I didnt want to go ahead with it, the claim but the chose too, just to say no. I would always advise to write that letter I genuinely believe that helped me win it. My reports etc contradicted the womans report though as well. 

Its horrible. She made me feel like I was lying, I thought to myself last night I would love to help people with theirs. 
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    Options
    @rebel11 thank you. Theres no need for it though it makes people so upset. My anxiety was that bad, I had another seizure. I have PNES (psycogenic non epileptic seizures caused by extreme anxiety) I didnt want to go ahead with it, the claim but the chose too, just to say no. I would always advise to write that letter I genuinely believe that helped me win it. My reports etc contradicted the womans report though as well. 

Its horrible. She made me feel like I was lying, I thought to myself last night I would love to help people with theirs.
    That's so cool, wanting to help others, whilst having 'challenges' of your own to deal with.  :)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hey @louise22120. A warm welcome from me.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I am sure it will be invaluable for anyone experiencing anything similar.

You have mentioned being a nervous wreck these last few weeks. Would anything help you to manage this and make you less nervous?

It sounds really positive that you have been awarded enhanced on both and you feel your letters have supported you with this.

Please note, you have done absolutely nothing wrong. You have only been helpful and we thank you :)

Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    What a wonderful story of perseverance and  overcoming your fears. At least we now know there are vulnerability flags. I’m so pleased for you. Many out there are in the same position. I hope your bravery has spurred them on. The horror stories of waiting long length of times,  not being believed, being treated without empathy, inability of assessors to relate results truthfully, isolation when refused pip, appeal processes and the terrible ordeals at  tribunals have made the process daunting. No disabled person in the country should be treated in this way. Hopefully things will change. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.