If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice with WCA telephone call

Options
Bananagirlf
Bananagirlf Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello.

I first put in my fit notes on the 1st of December and normally get paid on the 7th of each month. 

It's been a long few months but I'm finally getting my WCA call early April and I'm having so many panic attacks it's hard to even type this... Can you kind people please give me any advice?

For extra context I get standard pip both elements and have 10 points in the mobility part which means for that descriptor I can't walk more than 50 meters without pain (reality is a lot lower) and rest. I know the descriptors for PIP and LCWRA are different but the mobility one is very similar and since DWP have twice already agreed (including MR for PIP) that I can't walk more than 50 meters which is a qualifyer for LCWRA I'm just panicing with having to have a WCA... I don't know if I have the strength to go through fighting DWP through the whole MR/Tribunal process again...

thank you and sorry for hassling
Tagged:

Comments

• JonnycJonny
    JonnycJonny Scope Member Posts: 127 Courageous
    Options
    Try to stay calm - easier said than done, I know. As for the mobility issue, the WCA takes in to account your ability or inability to self propel a wheelchair  for getting  around - it is not just about walking. An OT or physio letter on this point would help immensely. Sure Poppy a regular contributor on this site will help you shortly with more advice.

Best wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    JonnycJonny is correct, the mobility part of PIP and LCWRA mobilising descriptors are both completely different.
    For PIP moving around takes into consideration your ability to put at least one foot on the ground and walk. For the mobilising descriptor for LCWRA it's up to 50 metres but they also take into consideration your ability to use a self propel wheelchair, PIP doesn't consider this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    I have the call tomorrow. I would appreciate anyone who could give me examples of how the conversation flowed with questions from the health professional? I want to mentally prepare myself and if I could have a few of you kind people give me your story of the full interview that would be good. 

I've got the descriptors ready.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It would be impossible for anyone to tell you exactly what questions they will ask you because everyone is different. It will totally depend on how your conditions affect you. I don't think having the descriptors next to you will really help at that stage.

If you kept a copy of the form you returned you should have a read of that before the assessment so you can remind yourself of what you said.

The assessment can last anywhere from 15 to 120 minutes. They may not ring on time, it depends whether there's an assessment before you and how long that lasts for. Have a drink near you for ease of reach incase it's needed. Try not to answer the questions with a yes or no because they will come to their own conclusion if you do. Try to give as much detail as possible.

Once the assessment is completed the report will be returned to DWP and a decision can take up to 12 weeks. If you have access to a journal the decision letter will be uploaded onto there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    Yes, thank you for that, Poppy. I feel just having the kind of questions others were asked would be comforting to me even if they didn't apply to me. It might not make much sense but having a general guess at the normal stuff asked (more so the way/manner they do) like "do you have any hobbies" as a potential trick question that might go against you would help me calm down. 

Extremely upset and fearful at the moment so any little comfort I can get would be nice. Regardless, thank you for all the help so far everyone.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    Call done........... Now the wait begins.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Well done for getting through it @Bananagirlf How was it and how are you feeling? I imagine it's taken a bit of a toll emotionally, so rest as much as you can now and distract yourself if you find you are ruminating on the outcome. I appreciate it's easier said than done, but we'll be here whatever the decision to support you  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    Well done for getting through it @Bananagirlf How was it and how are you feeling? I imagine it's taken a bit of a toll emotionally, so rest as much as you can now and distract yourself if you find you are ruminating on the outcome. I appreciate it's easier said than done, but we'll be here whatever the decision to support you  <3
    Thank you for the kindness of your reply and words. 

I think it potentially went well?? The man said that based on my form we might be able to cut down the call as. I suspect this is as I said at the start of this thread because the DWP have stated I can only walk 50 meters max with the aid of a walking stick. I had to answer lots of draining questions and ended up crying during it but the man was very nice and much better than the PIP assessment which made me what to not be here. 

I'm just very drained and sleepy but hopefully I don't have false hope from the call only lasting 35 min and what he said. He said at the end thank you for being honest even with the hard things so hopefully between what he has wrote I'll get the LCWRA that I know I'm entitled to.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you @Bananagirlf, well done for getting through it. I think no matter how long the assessment is, or whether it's by phone or in person or even paper-based, they can be an incredibly draining experience. I remember that feeling from my own PIP assessment a few years ago now!

I hope you can rest and relax this evening, put it behind you for now, and before long you'll hear more. We're here to support you whatever the outcome :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    I just had my fortnightly telephone call with my amazing work coach just told me something she shouldn't have. She told me that I've only gone and got LCWRA!!! She couldn't "officially" tell me yet since the decision maker hadn't done everything or something like that (I forget exactly what she said as I was too happy) but that was the gist of it. She said "you won't need me for much longer. I'm very proud of you"!

Apologies but can anyone tell me if I'm owed one month? I would like to know so I can plan and my brain won't do maths right now. Fit notes were started without stopping from December 1 to this month. I'm normally paid my UC on the 7th of every month. I don't have an exact date for the LCWRA award yet but we can assume it's between the 6th to 12th of April. 

I'm just floored. I need to relax and take it in... thank you all...

• poppy123456
    Options
    Your work coach really shouldn't have done that because it's not their job to do so. You need to wait for the decision letter, which will be uploaded onto your journal once it's made. It's not final until that's done.

If you're found to have LCWRA then your waiting period will be Dec to Feb.. LCWRA starts from March 1st to March 31st and first payment will be April 7th.
  • Bananagirlf
    Options
    Thanks for ruining the mood, Poppy. You're a legend around these parts with all the help you give but there was no need to say the above in the manner you did. Could have just given me the information I asked for about if I was owed without your personal opinion. 

I can see why so many deactive their accounts here when opnions that aren't needed are given. Goodbye.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry you think that but i was only speaking the truth. You agreed yourself that she shouldn't have told you.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.