Will marrying effect my PIP, ESA or housing benefit?

lulu109
lulu109 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2023 in Benefits and income
Hi guys
im on pip and esa and in receipt of housing benefit… if I marry are any of these effected… my fiancé currently lIves in Turkey any help appreciated…

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,144 Championing
    Getting married will make no difference to your benefits entitlement. If your partner moves here to live with you or you move to Turkey to live with them then it will be different.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,558 Online Community Programme Lead
    A warm welcome to the community @lulu109. I see Poppy123456 has already answered your question regarding benefits so I just wanted to wish you a congratulations on your engagement and all the best for your future wedding. 
  • lulu109
    lulu109 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi poppy
    thankyou
    do you know what il lose if he moves here…. I’m reading online but all very different advice… can he work up to 24 hours a week without it effecting my benefits…  Thankyou in advance 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,144 Championing
    If he lives with you and any part of your ESA is Income Related you will need to reported the changes to ESA. He can work but only £20/week of his earnings will be disregarded. After this your ESA will reduce £1 for £1. So if he earnings for example £100/week your ESA will reduce by £80/week. If he works 24 hrs/week then your Income Related ESA will end.
    If any part of it is contributions based this won't be affected. You should use a benefits caluclator to check entitlement to Universal Credit. If you're in the Support Group for ESA then you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. Providing you're still claiming ESA when claim UC.
    Whether he'll be entitled to any UC will depend on whether he has any access to public funds and i can't advise on that, for this you should get some expert advice.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,005 Championing
    Obviously there are also migration issues about whether fiance is entitled to come to this country and work depending on their nationality.