Son moving back home

karolb
karolb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone. My 27 Yr son is not coping with his tenancy and I would like him to live back with me. 
He currently claims esa and pip and gets housing benefit. I'm aware the housing benefit will stop but are the other benefits affected. 
He has serious MH issues and adhd. Am I entitled discount on my council tax still? 
Also hes in debt with the water company having ignored paying for the whole of last year. Is there any advice on this? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,444 Championing
    If his ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium then this will end if he lives with you, unless you (and other adults you live with) are either claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or registered blind. 
    PIP will continue as normal. Do you claim any benefits yourself? If so which ones? 
    If you current live alone and are claiming single person discount for your council tax  you will lose this. However, you can look at claiming a carers discount of 25% for caring for your son. https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Council-Tax-Discounts/Carers
    For his debt with the water then I’d advise you to ring them to speak to them. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,538 Championing
    Hello @karolb and thanks for reaching out :) 

For support with debt, your son might like to contact StepChange, the debt charity. Scope also has some guidance on help when you are in debt, and help with water bills too.

If we can help with anything further, let us know, and we'll do what we can!