Son moving back home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Son moving back home

karolb Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone. My 27 Yr son is not coping with his tenancy and I would like him to live back with me. 
He currently claims esa and pip and gets housing benefit. I'm aware the housing benefit will stop but are the other benefits affected. 
He has serious MH issues and adhd. Am I entitled discount on my council tax still? 
Also hes in debt with the water company having ignored paying for the whole of last year. Is there any advice on this? 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    If his ESA includes the Severe Disability Premium then this will end if he lives with you, unless you (and other adults you live with) are either claiming a qualifying disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care or registered blind. 
    PIP will continue as normal. Do you claim any benefits yourself? If so which ones? 
    If you current live alone and are claiming single person discount for your council tax  you will lose this. However, you can look at claiming a carers discount of 25% for caring for your son.
    For his debt with the water then I’d advise you to ring them to speak to them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello @karolb and thanks for reaching out :) 

    For support with debt, your son might like to contact StepChange, the debt charity. Scope also has some guidance on help when you are in debt, and help with water bills too.

    If we can help with anything further, let us know, and we'll do what we can!
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.