Change of circumstances (appointee?)

clumsylunch
clumsylunch Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited April 2023 in Benefits and income
Hey everyone

I have a muscular condition and PTSD. I am not and have never been fit for work.

I'm due to be moving in with my boyfriend in a couple of months. I'm on enhanced rate PIP (both daily living and mobility) and ESA (support group, contributory). He won't be claiming carer's allowance as he has a part time job. However we are going to need to claim UC for our housing.

Currently my Mum claims care allowance for me, she's older and it's helped with our income but this will be stopping, my ESA also currently gets paid into her account as previously she has acted on my behalf. My DWP letters are addressed to her.

Although my disabilities have not changed, with support and new care from my boyfriend I am hoping to manage my own money more and have my DWP letters addressed to me and the ESA paid into my bank account, rather than my Mum's when I move.

My question is whether this will be misconstrued as my health conditions improving and whether I will face reassesment?

For clarity: my Mum will stop claiming care allowance, my ESA will be paid into my account, I will be acting on my own behalf.

Comments

• clumsylunch
    Hey everyone

Really need help because I'm moving soon and I'm pretty stressed.

I claim PIP (enhanced rate mobility and enhanced rate daily living) and ESA (support, contributory) I have always been unfit to work.

My Mum has been my appointee, but now I'm moving in with my boyfriend and would like her to resign so that with my partner's support I can manage my own income.

I know I need her to write a letter and she's happy to relinquish her appointeeship for me but I'm terrified of the DWP making me go through the reassessment process because of it, can anyone tell me if they do this?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,144 Championing
    You will not need to go through another assessment because of this. It's not a change of circumstances that would prompt a review of any benefits.
    If any part of your ESA is Income Related (if it's more than £117.60/week, it will be) then you will need to report the changes to ESA when you move in with your partner.
  • clumsylunch
    @poppy123456 Thank you so so much!