NHS Continuing Health Cost and PIP

Daniel_2021
Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Contributor
Hi,
I'm in desperate need of some help. I'm currently in hospital and in the process of being accessed for in-patient rehab that will be paid for by the NHS's continuing health costs (CHC).
I currently receive the enhanced rate of both PIP elements.
My question is - Will either element be stopped due to this?
I get a car via motability which I'm worried about losing, I'll be based 275 miles away one way and have no way of buying a car and the expenses that go with this. The result if I loose the car is my wife will only be able to visit monthly.
If I get to keep either element please can you provide the link as to where you got this information.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,381 Championing
    edited March 2023
    Hi @Daniel_2021 - it's good to hear from you, & that you may be getting in-patient rehab. There's some general info on CHC here: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs20_nhs_continuing_healthcare_and_nhs-funded_nursing_care_fcs.pdf  & on pps 28-9 about how this may affect PIP (but it doesn't mention going into hospital).
    From this trusted source, if you are in hospital for 28 days or more, which from what you say seems likely, then your PIP would stop after 28 days: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Going-into-Hospital-and-benefits/Benefits-that-stop-being-paid-if-you-go-into-hospi   & says you should also tell Motability if you're likely to be in hospital for more than 28 days as the mobility component of your PIP would stop.
    The days you're both admitted & discharged from hospital don't count.
    I'm sorry I'm not the bearer of good news, however if you were able to go home sometimes (i.e. if you'd been in hospital less than 28 days) then this may be helpful.

• Daniel_2021
    Daniel_2021 Community member Posts: 79 Contributor
    Hi @chiarieds,

It's lovely to hear from you and thanks for replying.

I've read the same information, the bit I'm getting confused with is somewhere mentioned that you "lose" your daily living but retain the mobility. Other parts say the same as you found that after 28 days you lose both elements if you're deemed an in-patient.
    It's incredible to think I have to weigh-up receiving treatment as in practical terms i'll struggle significantly financially.

Thanks again.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,381 Championing
    Just to add, unfortunately it wouldn't help if you left hospital for say a weekend, as there needs to be a gap of 28 days between hospital admissions, or the days would be added together anyway; sorry about that.
    If you go into a residential home, there the daily living component similarly stops after 28 days, whilst the mobility component is unaffected; I wonder if that's what you read.
    It is difficult when your finances will suffer, & that you'd be so far away from home, but there's no price on hopefully being able to manage so much better (& perhaps learn to do 'wheelies' :) ). My best wishes as ever.