Thoughts please? On back payments

sd100
sd100 Community member Posts: 132 Empowering
Hi I posted this question on an older post and didn’t get any feedback.
from what I’ve read if you are awarded a large back payment that wasn’t necessarily an error you can have it disregarded for 52 weeks.
What I don’t get is how can they say it’s disregarded for a year but at same time say you mustn’t knowingly deprive your assets.

what do they want you to do with the money them? Just hold on to it and have it taken all back again with deductions from future benefits and housing benefit and council tax?

seems a very unfair rule as had you received the right payments as normal weekly for however many years it’s being backdated, there would be no problems and your life would have been much easier with the extra monies had you been receiving it. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,444 Championing
    During the year it’s disregarded you can spend it on anything you want to. 
  • sd100
    Really I saw online saying you mustn’t knowingly deprive your assets with certain things like giving away money or buying jewellery and or a vehicle
  • poppy123456
    You have misunderstood what you read. As I advised it doesn’t apply during the disregard. 

I realised you asked the same question on your other thread. Please remember then members here such as myself give advice freely in their own spare time. 

It may not always be possible to have a response to any questions you ask straight away. 
    I’ve been out most of the morning and haven’t been on the forum during that time. 
  • sd100
    I understand I appreciate your replies trust me. I just thought posting question in new thread might reach more people. But no it’s poppy123456 to the rescue again lol.
  • sd100
    Calling esa seems like will be waste of time they just keep using technical jargon I don’t really get. Kept telling me it’s with accurist now, like I’m suppose to know what accurate is.
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea what an accurate is lol. I think they mean it's with a decision maker. I totally understand the frustration but you've done everything you can for now. Please try to focus on something else while you wait.