What else could I be claiming?

luckylyn74
luckylyn74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello, I’ve finally been awarded PIP on the enhanced rate for both measures. I also receive IIDB and I’m in the support group for ESA. I’m 48 so not near state pension age, yet! I know I can claim for free vehicle tax, Are there any other benefits I’m not aware of that I could be claiming please? 
Really appreciate any support with this 😊

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,444 Championing
    Which ESA are you claiming? Contributions based or Income Related or New style? I'm assuming because of your IIBD then it's all contributions based because IIDB reduces Income Related £1 for £1.

If it's the old contributions based, do you live alone or with other adults? If you live alone or treated as living alone then there's Severe disability Premium but because of the IIDB this would be reduced because it's Income Related. Whether there's any entitlement to IR will depend on how much your IIDB is per week.
  • luckylyn74
    luckylyn74 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi,thank you for responding!  I claim ‘New Style’ ESA. I live with my husband who’s taken early retirement to care for me. I’m not sure what you mean by IR?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,444 Championing
    As it's New style ESA you're claiming then this is a contributions based only benefit. The only other benefit available to claim would be Universal Credit.
    As you live with your husband then you will need to claim as a couple and your jount circumstances will be taken into consideration. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming.
    Your ESA and IIDB will be deducted in full from any entitlement.
    If your husband claims carers allowance for looking after you then this will also be deducted in full.
    As you're in the Support Group you'll be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your claim.
    Whether there's any entitlement will depend on your circumstances.
    Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator when you fill it in you should also add that you're claiming New style ESA in the Support Group.