Positive experiences with services (benefits, NHS, etc…) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Positive experiences with services (benefits, NHS, etc…)

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,697 Disability Gamechanger

I am wondering if people think this is a good idea.

As this is a forum for helping people it is only natural that most of the experiences people share involve having some sort of problem. Indeed, if you have a good experience, there is rarely a need to ask for help.

However, this could give a false impression to readers that the majority of experiences are negative, and could cause anxiety. I myself sometimes get worried after reading this site, and have to remind myself that I have had mostly good experiences with services, and am likely to in future.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for sharing positive experiences we have had with the topics that Scope often covers, like the benefits system, assessments, council houses, getting NHS treatment, etc.

This would serve as a reminder that most people have a good experience and maybe ease peoples anxiety if they are worried after reading all of the bad experiences.

What do people think?

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,025 Scope online community team
    Options
    I think it's a great idea @66Mustang, I'll try and think of a few of my own too.

Do you have any positive experiences to get us started? 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 740 Pioneering
    Options
    Claiming ESA and PIP.

Every assessor has been very professional and empathetic.  Whether it's F2F or telephone call.
    I'm still convinced the DM from my PIP review sort of led me to make sure I said exactly the right things over the phone ... all the truth but just wanted me to say keywords.  He even explained in layman terms why he couldn't award me enhanced mobility and to hear it spoken made a lot of sense

Had a bit of fun and games recently with ESA due to Carers Allowance, but once we spoke to the right person, it was sorted within 24 hours

The NHS.  I'm very lucky.  Mental Health I get all the help there is ... physical ailments, again very good.
    Had to wait a bit longer for some surgeries the past couple of years but isn't everybody.  

I would say, having a daughter who is on the front line - it's creaking, wobbling and very unstable but the staff will battle through.

• sd100
    sd100 Community member Posts: 126 Courageous
    Options
    I’ve been hearing a lot of bad press about GP’s and waiting times to see one but I can honestly say every time I have contacted mine they are very quick and I am seen to quickly.

could be because they are aware of my mental health diagnosis and make people with MH problems a priority I don’t know but just giving my 2 cents for this thread of positive experience.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,625 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a positive experience with the Blue Badge application a couple of years ago.  :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Thanks all for the positive posts.

I had a positive experience with being reassessed for ESA a few years ago. The assessor was very empathetic and sympathetic towards my conditions and did not try to catch me out at all (that said personally I am all for catching people out if they are trying to cheat the system).

I also have had a positive experience with PIP assessment even though my PIP was reduced (which I then got swiftly put back up via a mandatory reconsideration). The assessor was professional and wasn't at all nasty, just she obviously got the wrong end of the stick thinking I was more able than I was.

My initial claims for ESA and PIP 10 years ago were great and efficient as I didn't even need an assessment.

As for the NHS, I have too many encounters with them to list! However, putting my GP aside as they seem to be locked down - no one's allowed in the building, I have had positive experiences. Especially my most recent psychiatrist who seems to be on the same wavelength as me r.e. being willing to experiment and not play it safe.

I'm sure I will think of more but am just about to go to the shop so typing this rather quickly; sorry for any mistakes!
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,670 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have had two outstanding experiences one with the DWP and another with GP inrecebt weeks, first DWP after a long wait. for PIP renewal they phoned out of the blue it took ten minutes and my award was the same but for ten years.
    Last week phoned my GP and was seem just 4 hours later 30 minute appt.she referred me to a senior partnered who saw me 2 days later, I'd call both of them a positive result,
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
  • Helen3
    Helen3 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I had my UC work capability assessment this tue morning (28/03/2023), the interviewer called and said I did a very good job filling my UC50 form, I had 4 extra page of examples attached with the form.
    She said I think she had a lot of information, let's make the assessment easier for me, she will not ask me the question that is not related to my condition. And when I answer the questions, she kept saying, it's ok I have enough information I need.
    Anyway, after that I haven't receive any message form DWP said they receive the report (I received the message 2 hours after I had the PIP assessment last week).
    Then yesterday morning (less than 48 hours after the assessment), I received an email titled "UC notification", said I need to read a message in my Universal Credit journal. And there is a letter (UCD81) on the journal, said I am in the LCWRA group.
    Still waiting for the PIP assessment result I did last week, fingers cross.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've had issues with benefits recently but overall my experience has been positive.

Paperbased assessments and reviews but even in the past when I've had face-to-face they were very understanding. 
    I've also had adjustments to send things and sign things by email instead of post and for the most part my experience has been positive rather than negative.

Actually had the same with council houses 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,431 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My GP has been good recently arranging some tests for me.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Passenger assistance on the rail network is brilliant you can't fault them really. 
  • 66Mustang
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Motability have been completely fantastic in my experience.

The car wants for nothing, I got a puncture and they put 2 new tyres on for free. I asked to buy some oil in case it needed topping up and they gave me it for free. I asked how much are new wiper blades as they are smearing, no charge.

When the car failed its MOT due to tyres they took 2 days to source some new ones so my car was off the road. They offered me free taxis to go wherever I wanted, which I could not make use of but still very much appreciated.

Brilliant company, I couldn't fault them even if I went out looking to.

The only hitch is getting awarded the relevant benefit in the first place which is nothing to do with Motability.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.