Temporary accommodation and bidding for a 1 bedroom — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Temporary accommodation and bidding for a 1 bedroom

Options
Chaase
Chaase Community member Posts: 48 Connected
Hi all, I have a bit of bother to do with my temporary accommodation and bidding for a 1 bedroom flat. I am waiting for my new support worker to start but I need help ASAP about bidding verses direct offer and so on. Can anyone who understands te process explain it please

Comments

• Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi 

It may vary from council to council.

Direct Offer: They will select a place that they have found suitable for you, with a direct offer your not able to turn it down without documented proof that it’s unsuitable, turning it down without proof would result in them closing your case and no longer having a duty of care so you would be left to find your own accommodation(Private etc).

Bids pretty much work as they sound, a Bid is basically saying you are interested in the property and want to be considered for it, depending on your banding this can take up to 10 years to get an offer if ever at all(highly depends on your banding) they do have invisible bids also which sometimes you may show your position as first in line but invisible bids don’t show on the site(only council can see them) and if the invisible bid is more priority than yourself or more suitable it will be offered to the other person.
    Again with bids it works the same way as direct offers if they think they place is suitable and you don’t want it they can close the account and no longer have a duty of care.

The banding system works a little different depending on the area, some use letters and some use gold silver etc etc 

• Chaase
    Options
    Hi Luchua, thank you for the information you gave. It's a nervous time for me as I have been in temporary accommodation for a long time now. So it's, nerve racking.

It's a bit confusing because I was offer the opportunity for direct offer and also to place weekly bidding on the portal the 2nd wk now. I'm just worried because tomorrow my 1st viewing and I feel I don't feel safe where the e flats ls located but if I should refuse I don't stand a chance and will be in trouble of being homeless.
    Imin priority needs with council accepting full duty and a 170 points. I feel I'll do better at bidding as you see many more choices but given what you explained it could take. Long time 10 years etc. I wouldn't want to stuck in temporary accommodation for that longer time so do worried how to be be able to choose but given the chance to choose somewhere I feel safe as my home without the difficult pressure they put on the victim to choose in haste....

• Chaase
    Options
    I can usually see te bid position yes 
  • Luchia
    Luchia Community member Posts: 282 Pioneering
    Options
    Hey

The wait time varies from area to area, I’ve not seen the points system before so I couldn’t say how high 170 would be, The council I am under use a letter banding system with A been highest and D been lowest.
    It’s very rare someone gets a Band A here so really B(Priority Medical Needs) is  the highest and the wait time for that is usually a couple of months to a year, Band D will never get an offer of a property here.

Personally I’d go with the Bidding system as it at least gives you a choice of properties rather than one been randomly assigned to you(The direct offers are usually the ones no ones bid one here).

I was on the bidding system last year as my flat was no longer suitable for my needs and wasn’t able to be adapted and after 14 weeks of bidding(I was very selective) I got a lovely 2 bedroom Bungalow and I had Band B(Medical Priority).
    I know someone who is in Band C and they have been waiting 4 years without a single offer yet so it really does come down to your banding and needs. 

My advice is to stay positive, it can be a lengthy process but at the end of it you have your forever home so it’s definitely worth the wait.

• Chaase
    Options
    Hi Lucia, thank you for your comment. It's really helpful and to hear about your personal experience. For me it's a nail bitting and nerve wrecking time gpingthtough the paces, learning  about the processes, involved, having not been in this situation before and wasn't expecting that I would become a victim of a crime that has now left me being registered disabled and unable to cope. 
     I was expecting to bid on the housing connection scheme and was prepared to go through the weekly process to fund sonething after having to wait for more tan a yaar almost 11/2 for te chance to bid as te details I recieved each times it was sent was incorrect. Finally I was sent the new details and was glad. But during that same week I also had a phone call telling me I was going to view a property that was selected for me by a homeless support worker from council. Then was informed I have only 2 chances, then my case will be closed and I'll have to private rent or go into a bed and breakfast or  forced to look outside the Borough for private rented accommodation. I don't know what my rights are or if I have any rights to what my choices are especially being registered disabled. I was assessed and given priority. I'm not sure if this was based on my disabilities at te time and te information they had l. But since then I Ave been registered disabled.
    I'm trying o stay positive but te last 2 weeks as been depressing as I'm so vongusraboit te whole situation I've found myself in and just trying to find my way through the tiresome maze. 

Any idea if I have the choice or should have a say in accepting or not accepting the direct offer route and choosing the point system for bidding. I've been bidding 2nd week now and te properties seems alot better. I happened to did my 1dt viewing reluctantly on Friday which not suitable for my health condition and now I'm being threatened with the consequences of refusing it. I have emailed te homeless office to remind her of my situation but i feel I'm not been heard. So confuse, lost and stressed about the process. Any suggestions would be grateful accepted. Thank you. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Chaase. Unfortunately most areas operate their housing systems slightly differently.
    In my area, typically those in temporary accomodations receive direct offers and don't use the bidding system, and they can only refuse an offered property for a tiny number of reasons. If it's not suitable for your conditions it would your GP or support worker perhaps write a supporting letter explaining this? 

Has anyone shared the housing allocation policy for your area with you? It should explain some of these things for your specific area. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chaase
    Options
    Hi Adrian, thanks for your comment. Things are just unclear with how the system works in my borough . Quite confusing as I was sent bidding details after waiting over a year after winning my case and bidding details is based on the case reference number and DOB but I'm not sure as the case worker who is assigned to me is using the old reference details that I was sent even though new details was produced and sent ie new ref number. So not sure if this is an error

Also I'm I've never heard of information aoit housing policy so ill try and find out about the housing allocations policy in my area. Do you know where tat sort of info can usually be found obtain?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.