Notice for all members — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Notice for all members

Options
Adrian_Scope
Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,018 Scope online community team
edited March 2023 in Community updates
Dear members of Scope's online community,

We've been made aware that of late a small group of members have been misusing the private message function of the community. 

In some cases inappropriate messages have been shared and in others false and misleading statements have been made about other members. Sadly it would seem some messages have been sent with the intent of stirring up trouble and causing problems between members.

This has, understandably, affected the wellbeing of some of our members and it will not be tolerated.

We take these actions very seriously, as it is important to maintain a safe and reliable community for all members and I want it to be clear that should we be notified that this is continuing to occur, we will not hesitate to restrict or remove access to the online community and if needs be, we will restrict access to private messaging on a wider scale.

If you have any questions or concerns about our online community house rules or guidelines, please do not hesitate to reach out to me or one of our moderators.

We are dealing with the situation to the best of our ability and want to reassure all of you that member wellbeing is a top priority for the community team. We hope many of you will agree that on the whole this is a safe and supportive environment where a lot of us have found comfort and friendship. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Adrian

Community Manager
Scope

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks Adrian for the update 
  • Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 7,331 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Thanks it’s been sad what’s been happening.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the update, such behaviour should not be tolerated. It's sad what has been going on.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've not been on the community much recently due to my vision/balance issues but I'm genuinely sorry to hear what has been happening, you are perfectly right to say that the  wellbeing of users/members is a priority.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 750 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for the update, and agree 
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,563 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update 
  • MarieBarl
    MarieBarl Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for the reassurances.
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,434 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
               Not much worse than bullies, I hope whoever they are get their comeuppance.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    This policy gets my support.
    I`ve already blocked one person because of his / her personal message in response to me voicing my displeasure at him / her referring to "Nazi Germany".
  • KW2023
    KW2023 Scope Member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Sadly, this is one of the pitfalls of virtual communities.  I am sorry to hear this has happened, but well done to the members for reporting it. I would hope that if this happens to anyone else, they will notify the team who can deal with it. Please dont feel you need to put up with this kind of behaviour. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cartini sorry to hear you've had to 'ignore' a user, if you feel the community house rules have been breached in any way by the message you were sent, I'd encourage you to contact the team to report this either by messaging @Community_Scope or emailing community@scope.org.uk 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ladyluck
    ladyluck Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Options
    Thankyou Adrian for keeping us all safe.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,391 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Having recently joined the Online Community it is reassuring to know that the wellbeing of members is a priority. Thank you. I have also had several emails from Scope online explaining how the forum works and welcoming me which was lovely.
  • CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ve not been on recently but thank you for the update and reassurances. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well-being and safety will always be priorities, for staff and for volunteers. We are all here to support each and every one of you. Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    Options
    @Adrian_Scope

Sorry to read that... May be you have misunderstood that person. I have been trying to delete my account but don't appear to see how too.. Enjoy your day.

THE COST OF LIVING

POEM 

Oh no the cost of living been raised again
    Is legislation putting a forced noose over our head
    Damned as we do 
    Damned as we don’t
    Blooming hell bells
    I don’t know what to do…
    Come on government give us a clue?

Government you have duty of care to all citizens 
    No matter their colour, culture, gender, seen or unseen disabilities, 
    Or religious beliefs, working status or not.
    Deprivation! Have you experienced it yet?
    Our voices being suppressed and oppressed? 

The government playing the part of a sixteenth century Latin Dominatrix 
    Their Indoctrination…it’s the economic climate
    Brought on by environmental change, war zones in other countries
    Constantly told there is know immediate threat or alternative.
    Such as solutions or quick fixes

As our PRIME MINISTER…flying around on a private jet..
    At task payers expense
    Gosh…Blooming sick of double standards.

Our the people of our country becoming accepting? 
    That for some of us our caught in severity of the poverty trap
    Strikes abundant for most of our services
    Nothings been seen like this through out history.

Rapping in song, expressing our views
    Bank’s creative, graffiti…
    Trying to raise awareness expressing through creativity the people views
    Disappointingly the council steps in sending the very people banks was trying defend.

They take away his creativity
    Ermm… contradiction again…know their using statutory health and safety legislation ‘ A duty of care to the community.
    Again double standards implemented
    The POINT bank’s stood up for our human rights. 
    Think on….

No income that’s stretches to buy basics
    No income that stretches to buy toiletries
    No income that stretches to put shoes on our feet, winter coat on our backs
    No income that stretches to turn on our gas or electric
    Much worse to buy nappies or baby milk
    Woman’s personal hygiene goods…

Oh my god what’s happening to society?
    Shivering applying more layers to keep out the cold
    Misery becomes the daily reality.
    Age concern televising people suffering, help will soon be their
    That can’t be right
    The Samaritan’s…  promoting their free number 116123 ‘speak to us where here’ we care.
    Oh my god Families splitting up because of the cost of living

What’s happened to good news better days smiling faces?
    Our we all on a waiting  list to go to the WORK HOUSE?
    Where living in times of prioritising personal hygiene
    That’s way down our survival prioritising lists
    The list of to do’s 
    The list of don’ts 
    The list of maybes
    The list not anymore.

Gone out the days of taking for granted
    Out with family or friends to meet for a quick coffee.
    Thinking recklessly no longer a thought
    Even the cheaper alternative taking a picnic

The poor old oven has become decommissioned
    In favour of our air fryer, the steamer and the economical slow cooker.
    Gone our the Friday nights of fish and chip 
    Or a quick family pizza

I’ve found one positive a healthier alternative 
    Slither cut carrots celery parsnips cucumber to dip into home made dips or salsas.
    Finally micro-waved  pop corn as we settle down under our throw to watch Saturday night family TV. 

Life has changed I know for some they don’t get any treats
    There living this time all alone
    Most in extreme cold, without any hot meal
    Similar to those homeless out on the streets. 
    As the rising costs quickly put many into debt
    Finally made homeless, cast aside without any dignity

For now I think on and I pray
    For all of those people facing those for ever tough challenges 
    Reach out don’t live in silence
    The government our wrong to keep turning a blind eye.
    There our organisations out their 
    Who cast no JUDGEMENT

Together will help towards finding a new solution. 
    Its called believing in HOPE
    Implementing EMPATHY
    Showing compassion and humanity actions
    Opening our hearts to giving out human KINDNESS
    Pulling together in everything we do
    Keep moving forward, until we beat the odds once again
    Reminding our selves 
    Homelessness could happen us at anytime.
    Reach out… I don’t want to hear of no more… suicides. 

Wrote by SurvivorEmpowered Shezz April 2023

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,018 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @SurvivorEmpowered,
    I'm sorry to hear you've been trying to delete your account. I know we'll be very sorry to see you leave, but if you'd like to delete your account, please just email us through community@scope.org.uk and we'll start processing that.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • MrsTear
    MrsTear Scope Member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    That is very sad to hear
  • SurvivorEmpowered
    SurvivorEmpowered Posts: 56 Connected
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Adrain_Scope

Thank-you for the reply, I never noticed it until now.. I just I come on here hoping to interact with people. It advises go here say hello I cannot see a leave a comment bubble to do this. Then I am advised to go to coffee bar still no where to say hello. I was hoping to make acquaintances and perhaps have a little chat. One person said they be my friend which touch my heart bless for their kindness only to find that person changed their profile to private. Yet keep adding discussions. So a little disappointed all in all. I have had some encouraging response specially as my circumstances are more than testing.

I don't want pity I just like to be treat with the respect I once got when I worked in the professional field of health and social care and youth and community counselling etc. Its like I've lost my identity. Psychologically and emotionally, human beings need to be nurtured, made to feel needed and useful within our society. 

Last week I watch a person trying out a social study out side ICELAND Store, This person asked shoppers coming out of the store for any spare food.  The ones who engaged with him said sorry mate I have no money. He never asked for money. He asked politely for food. Eventually a elderly lady went up to him wheeling her shopping trolley. During looking inside he ask 'how much did you pay for your shopping she showed him her receipt as she needed reminded. Her shopping was 15.00. He said you are the only one who came and chatted to me and wanted to share some spare food with me. I am trying out a social study and would like to give pay for your shopping and give you extra for your kindness shown. The lady still insisted please keep your money. After a little more persuasion the shopper went off with the money. 

Which makes me assess people within our society, may be influenced by the stigma which gives rise to suspicion of the homeless. That they may be addicts looking for a quick fix, or the con person begging etc. I can tell you this is myth. I once was homeless and will never forget that experience and rejection, I turned that around and began a career of helping voluntary e.t.c. 

Many of us at anytime could become homeless. I believe there may be a bigger issue that statistics confirm through poles perhaps not up to date. 

I to did a social good deed and found charities were suspicious of my genuine kindness when I sent them donations from my stopping smoking seven years ago after several people I respected two who had saved my life as a child passed away from M.N.D and C.O.D.P. It took me a year to honour those amazing peoples life. I wanted their death to have deserving legacy. At the the end of that year I wasn't in a good place my self and I needed a an up lift. I was invited to SOUTH AFRICA and a new chapter of my life opened new doors. 

Which is a story i'm happy to share within the community at any time. If i'm still welcomed here.

Also i I still have an income to access online. For all one of my life lines it would not be a priority on my list to dos and cannot dos. That may be sooner than I have control of..

Hello @MrsTear how are you? Please pop and chat anytime if i'm on line.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @SurvivorEmpowered Thanks for your comment and I'm sorry to hear some of your interactions haven't gone as anticipated. We do love reading your poems and can see how kind hearted you are - the anecdote you gave about the man's social study really  resonated! Those moments of just stopping, seeing and hearing another person can mean everything. In today's society we sometimes overlook those opportunities to bring happiness to another. Please do keep on engaging with us and I'm sure virtual connections will come  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.