Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Backdated benefit question

Options
sd100
sd100 Community member Posts: 126 Courageous
Hi again hope everyone is doing well.
My question is in regards to being told I may be getting a backdated payment and it’s in the hands of whom I believe is a decision maker that’s going back over my records to make sure I fit the criteria.

I don’t want to keep phoning them but what I’d like to know is should I have been sent anything in writing that this is what’s going on as the only corespondents I’ve had with them apart from them sending me an is10 form has been verbal over the phone.

If anybody has been in similar situations would be great to hear your experiences.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,137 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sd100 - as you say, they will be checking that you meet the criteria for the Severe Disability Payment (SDP), i.e. that you live alone, or with anyone 18 years or older who also claims a qualifying benefit/registered blind. Also that no-one claims Carer's Allowance for looking after you or the carer's element with UC.
    Some complete the IS10 over the phone, which may be quicker. I'm sorry I don't know how long SDP claims are currently taking.
  • sd100
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Thanks for reply, do you think would I should ask them to send me in writing what is going on as it’s only been over the phone so far.
  • sd100
    Options
    just just one more thing, people in this situation especially if they are claiming said benefits for mental health reasons should they not be prioritised in whatever queue of backlogs there are as it must affect them in a much worse way and I can only think of the word cruel to describe how they are being treated.
    I’m not saying others that might qualify should be treated less worthy but the strain on someone with mental health problems I believe some kind of safeguard should be put into place.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,327 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No, I wouldn’t expect you to receive anything in writing at this stage. As I advised on your other thread, once a decision is made you will be contacted.

How would it be possible to prioritise someone with mental health against someone who doesn’t? Waiting for decisions causes everyone anxiety, even for those not claiming for mental health reasons. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sd100
    Options
    hi poppy123456 I see what you mean but I do think people with certain mental health problems would have a lot more anxiety and stress than someone with a physical disability, and I only mean it in certain stressful situations I don’t mean to say others deserve less, just that people may most likely suffer more with certain mental conditions.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Unfortunately some people have both physical & mental health problems. I do appreciate what you're saying, & think in general many with mental health problems do not have the support in place that they should have. Personally with any stress, I find this increases my pain, so many may find themselves in a difficult situation. It can of course be much more worrying if someone's mental health is seriously impacted, as you say.
  • sd100
    Options
    yeah I think so I didn’t mean what I said to trigger anybody. Of course everybody stresses and has anxiety but just those with mental health I believe would suffer more.
  • sd100
    Options
    And would be a good step from the dwp to try to have something in place for those individuals. But highly unlikely would happen.
  • sd100
    Options
    And especially wouldn’t want any of my comments on this forum to upset poppy123456 because she’s a hero in my eyes with what she contributes here.
  • chiarieds
    Options
    I just think how would you separate out those that had mental health problems, as, as I said, some can have both physical & mental health problems, unfortunately?
    poppy is the kindest person (I know as I've met her personally), & she has both amazing benefits knowledge & great empathy, as you've seen. I'm sure she too will appreciate your very kind comment. :)
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.