Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Cochlear Impants

Options
Sa21x
Sa21x Scope Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi there, I have just had a Cochlear Implant fitted and I am not switched on yet and I need to get hold of PIP to make a change of circumstances.
Is there an email address available to email them directly?

Comments

• yanni
    yanni Community member Posts: 91 Pioneering
    Options

@sa21

I have severe- profound hearing loss in both ears and claim PIP for this.

You only need to report a change of circumstances if /when the change means you no longer meet the descriptor awarded (either because your needs have increased or decreased).

At the moment you don’t know how much improvement in understanding verbal communication there will be. It is likely there will still be some issues, at least at first, with understanding in background noise or when someone is at a distance. You may still need to lip read to understand speech reliably. Also issues with undertaking a journey due to safety issues of not hearing vehicles approaching etc.

I would wait until the CI rehabilitation period is completed and then you will know if your hearing has reliably improved to the point that you no longer meet the descriptors you are currently awarded and then notify PIP.  

Remember that it is only when you can do the described activity reliably (safely, in a reasonable time, repeatedly and to a reasonable standard) at least 50% of the time that you no longer meet that descriptor.

• rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,664 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Good advice by Yanni, best to wait.

There isn't an email address, but a service is provided (not sure how good it is).

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Telephone: 0800 121 4433
    Textphone: 0800 121 4493
    Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4433
    British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
    Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
    Find out about call charges

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Sa21x

Welcome the the community! :) I see you have had some great advice from Yanni, I just wanted to comment and ask how you are feeling about the implant? If you have a switch on date yet? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.