Pip backdated payment and dept management — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip backdated payment and dept management

Options
sandrah180872
sandrah180872 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Evening everyone I hope u are all well. I would like some help on bk dated payment. I was awarded pip from 28th Jan, I received a phone call over 3 weeks ago saying I was awarded pip and that they owed me £700 and odd pounds and to keep an eye on my bank account for it going in but after 2 wks of mot receiving any money or an award letter I rang them up 2 be told that my bk dated payment has bn passed over to debt management as I owe for overpayment in tax credits,  but this is paid bk to dwp from my universal credit every month for over last 6 yrs. I've rang dept management and they have not received the back payment as yet and now pip said it is with dwp management being checked again. I don't understand any of this. Can sme one help please. Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,591 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, they can take any money they owe you to pay off any money you owe them. There's no timescales how long this may take. Will this money pay off the debt completely? If so then it's not such a bad thing, at least this way you will no longer have your UC payments reduced to pay it back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sandrah180872
    sandrah180872 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    No it wouldn't be enough to pay off the payment owed. Its has been being deducted from my uc every month for the last 7 yr. I still owe £6000. But y has it gone to dwp management to be check again I don't understand it at all.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    The fact you owe over £6000 is why they have gone to Debt Management, it's irrelevant that you are already paying deductions, any back payment of PIP can be used to pay a debt even if it's not the full amount. Debt has been passed over for a lot less. 
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,591 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     But y has it gone to dwp management to be check again I don't understand it at all.

We can't answer that question unfortunately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.