Advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice

Options
Margare93222061
Margare93222061 Community member Posts: 425 Pioneering
@Margare93222061  
Any advice on panic attacks please?

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Margare93222061, how are you feeling today? 

The mental health charity Mind has lots of advice and guidance on panic attacks

What is a panic attack?

Panic attacks are a type of fear response. They're an exaggeration of your body's normal response to danger, stress or excitement.

What do panic attacks feel like?

During a panic attack, physical symptoms can build up very quickly. These can include:

• a pounding or racing heartbeat
    • feeling faint, dizzy or light-headed
    • feeling very hot or very cold
    • sweating, trembling or shaking
    • nausea (feeling sick)
    • pain in your chest or abdomen
    • struggling to breathe or feeling like you're choking
    • feeling like your legs are shaky or are turning to jelly
    • feeling disconnected from your mind, body or surroundings, which are types of dissociation.

During a panic attack you might feel very afraid that you're:

• losing control
    • going to faint
    • having a heart attack
    • going to die.

What helps to manage panic attacks?

Panic attacks can be frightening, but there are things you can do to help yourself cope. It could help to print off these tips, or write them down, and keep them somewhere easy to find.

During a panic attack:

• Focus on your breathing. It can help to concentrate on breathing slowly in and out while counting to five.
    • Stamp on the spot. Some people find this helps control their breathing.
    • Focus on your senses. For example, taste mint-flavoured sweets or gum, or touch or cuddle something soft.
    • Try grounding techniques. Grounding techniques can help you feel more in control. They're especially useful if you experience dissociation during panic attacks. See our page on self-care for dissociation for more information on grounding techniques.

After a panic attack:

• Think about self-care. It's important to pay attention to what your body needs after you've had a panic attack. For example, you might need to rest somewhere quietly, or eat or drink something.
    • Tell someone you trust. If you feel able to, it could help to let someone know you've had a panic attack. It could be particularly helpful to mention how they might notice if you're having another one, and how you'd like them to help you.

See our pages on self-care for anxiety and treatments for anxiety for more information on what could help.

I hope this helps, please let us know if we've missed anything.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Margare93222061
    Options
    @Alex_Scope
    I am ok today thank you Alex, sometimes I can do what i I want to do and sometimes I can not take care. Margaret 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,431 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Margare93222061 I am sorry that you suffer from Panic attacks and hope you are feeling better today. Did you manage to do anything over the Easter holiday? 
  • Margare93222061
    Options
    Hi@Beaver79
    i am alright thank you..  I hope you had a good Easter, it is good to see the light nights. I did not do any thing special for Easter I hope you are well  take care  Margaret 
  • Margare93222061
    Options
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,431 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Margare93222061 I went to my parents for Easter Sunday lunch we had a lamb roast dinner. I do not tend to go far on Bank holidays. It is good to see the light nights.
  • Poelover
    Poelover Scope Member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    Hi @Margare93222061
    I understand just how debilitating panic attacks can be but also,the fear of having one cab be equally distressing.
    I've had anxiety for a long time but I was actually doing pretty well until the pandemic started and then of course,it just became easier to stay at home.
    I definitely recommend talking to people who understand what you are going through,that can lift your mood and calm you down no end.
    I know it's not always easy to find the motivation but is there anything you enjoy doing,hobbies etc?
    I'm a huge book worm but even so,I find it hard to still my mind enough to read when I'm anxious.
    I do however love all kinds of crafts and I've found keeping myself busy with a project is a fantastic way to forget I'm anxious!
    It could be something small like a handmade card or gift for a friend.
    Or starting a junk journal if you know what those are?
    I think they are brilliant because there are no rules and you don't have to follow a pattern or template,it's simply about pleasing yourself and including things that bring you joy.
    Well,that's me all talked out!Just remember you aren't alone in this,there are plenty of us going through it too and I'm always available for a chat.
    Much love x
  • Margare93222061
    Options
    Hi @Poelover.
    Thank you for your help the mind can be very powerful. Since the lock down I don’t go out as much as I did.   I have started doing crosswords to keep me  busy and I read a lot. I am used to going out to work but  I am not working at the moment.  Thank you for your kind thoughts take care Margaret 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.