Proposed abolition of Work Capability Assessment and Contributions based ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Proposed abolition of Work Capability Assessment and Contributions based ESA

Options
0ptimistic
0ptimistic Community member Posts: 43 Listener
Hello
I read some frightening news about abolition of the Work Capability Assessment.
I read about it on benefitsandwork.co.uk
I am on Contributions Based ESA and in the support group and am scared stiff that I will be expected to carry out work related activities.
Can anyone tell me what to expect, am I being paranoid?
Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This will be related to the white paper which was released on the day of the budget. Nothing is set in stone yet and even if it does go ahead it won’t be until at least 2026/27 for new claims and potentially as late as 2029 for existing claims.
    No one can give you any details because no one knows exactly what they are yet. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 0ptimistic
    edited April 2023
    Options
    This will be related to the white paper which was released on the day of the budget. Nothing is set in stone yet and even if it does go ahead it won’t be until at least 2026/27 for new claims and potentially as late as 2029 for existing claims.
    No one can give you any details because no one knows exactly what they are yet. 
    Hi
    This link talks about existing PIP claimants. 
    <moderator removed link as per request>
    I claim DLA.
    It says "Some existing PIP claimants may lose their support group status and be transferred to the universal credit health element, where they may be required to carry out work-related activities, as early as 2026, Benefits and Work can reveal. This directly contradicts the claim by the government that current claimants would not be affected before 2029." It's a longer article.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'd advise you to remove the link you posted above because it seems to be a link for an email provider named "outlook"
    The most important takeaway at the moment is that it's likely to be - at the very least - 6 years before existing UC/ESA claimants are affected.
    No one can tell anyone what to expect because there's no legislation been published yet.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    I'd advise you to remove the link you posted above because it seems to be a link for an email provider named "outlook"
    The most important takeaway at the moment is that it's likely to be - at the very least - 6 years before existing UC/ESA claimants are affected.
    No one can tell anyone what to expect because there's no legislation been published yet.

Thank you for letting me know.
    I am unable to remove the link because I can no longer edit the post.
    Is there someone on here who can edit the post for me, such as a moderator etc?
    Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'll tag a member of the scope team who will remove that for you. When you post a comment you only have 59 minutes to edit it, after that only a member of the team can do that. @Cher_Scope could you please remove the link posted by 0ptimistis.

• 0ptimistic
    Options
    I'll tag a member of the scope team who will remove that for you. When you post a comment you only have 59 minutes to edit it, after that only a member of the team can do that. @Cher_Scope could you please remove the link posted by 0ptimistis.

Many thanks, much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @optimistic and @poppy123456

Thank you for the tag. I've removed the link as requested :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    Hi @optimistic and @poppy123456

Thank you for the tag. I've removed the link as requested :)
    Thank you.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Also a lot of things can happen between now and when it is implemented which is a long way off,  i.e. General Election etc.  
  • 0ptimistic
    edited April 2023
    Options
    rebel11 said:
    Also a lot of things can happen between now and when it is implemented which is a long way off,  i.e. General Election etc.  
    Yes, true.
    My ideal would be to do a job that I love, that helps society, with people I get on with as I have social and emotional problems and have some bad memories from when I worked due to these social and emotional problems. I did not know I was autistic when I was working, and I did not have my borderline personality diagnosis.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful idea for a job @0ptimistic. Hopefully, you will be able to find this type of job. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • 0ptimistic
    Options
    That sounds like a wonderful idea for a job @0ptimistic. Hopefully, you will be able to find this type of job. How are you feeling about everything at the moment?  :)
    While I could do with lots of money to improve my home, I don't feel emotionally and socially ready for work at all right now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.