Education every one needs

onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 806 Empowering
This is a funny subject since my daughter has attended many First Aid courses during work and ones I have been asked to give.
  About 8 months ago when you think you will never need to do the things you have learned, her boy friend suffered a fit and collapsed he had hit the floor very hard and she had her own kids with her at the time.
  She did all the things without thinking and then sent jacob to get me from the other room.  She said later not only did he change colour but with the fit made it hard to administer anything.
  And remember while fitting his heart was still going.  and talked to him to give him security as he didn't remember anything.
  My reason for the post was not that but how many people have attended a First Aid Course and been given a "doll" to give EAR to?
  Probably every one, but what do you do if it you having a heart attack and your alone?
  Would you know what to do to save YOU, would you know the signs and react quick enough?
  Read this below and ask did you really know this.......
Even if you did make sure that others know what to do......

Important for everyone to know!
Let's say it's 7:25am and you're driving home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day at work... or a particularly bad turn.
You are really tired upset and frustrated.
Suddenly you start feeling pain in your chest that starts sliding down your arm and up into your jaw.
You are just km away from the nearest hospital to you.
Unfortunately, you don't know if you'll be able to make it this far.
You were trained in CPR, but the guy who taught the course didn't tell you how to do it on yourself.
How to survive a heart attack when alone?
Since many people are alone when they suffer from a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is pounding and starts to feel weak has only 10 seconds left before they pass out.
However, these victims can help themselves from coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.
A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough should be deep and prolonged, such as when producing deep spitting inside the chest.
A breath and a cough should be repeated every two seconds without leaving room until help arrives, or until the heart feels to beat normally again.
Deep breaths bring oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements tighten the heart and keep the blood circulating. Compression pressure on the heart also helps it get back into a normal rhythm.
This way heart attack victims can get help or in the hospital.
Tell as many people as possible. This could save their lives!
A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this message, and sends it to 10 people, you can bet we'll save at least one life.

How did you do?

Comments

• WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 1,885 Championing
    edited December 2023

OBV,

I had no idea we could try to save ourselves during a heart attack so this is great advice, thank you!
    I've attended first aid courses but never heard of this and wonder why.

Are you St John's trained as you give classes yourself? I know most of them volunteer and do it because they care. 

I've made a difference on two occasions, once on land and once in water  o:)
    (life-saving skills learned many moons ago) 

• WhatThe
    edited December 2023

*a minor difference* that should be

As Malala said "One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world" 

We never stop learning and we all make a difference to somebody else 

• Autism_at_40
    Autism_at_40 Community member Posts: 745 Empowering
    I didn't know this either.

I would go straight for an aspirin.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Championing
    Admittedly I did not do well on this one, as I have looked into it previously and the practice has been debunked, so the source on the actual cardiologist that recommends this would be helpful.

I would also guess someone who is doing this while driving is more likely to end up in an accident, than arriving at hospital.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/medical/ask-the-experts/cough-cpr

https://www.resus.org.uk/about-us/news-and-events/resuscitation-council-uks-statement-cough-cpr

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/heart-and-vascular-articles/can-coughing-stop-a-heart-attack

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cough-cpr/
  • onebigvoice
    WhatThe said:

*a minor difference* that should be

As Malala said "One child, one teacher, one book and one pen can change the world" 

We never stop learning and we all make a difference to somebody else 

This is why I lecture.  I wanted to make a difference.  When teaching anyone anything if the person you teach gives you the instructions to do something a certain way, then you don't know any different.  People say my standards were high, but ask anyone I taught they would say, "why, how would you do it?"
      Its hard some time to change someone attitude to something when the error has always been there.
      I am now a retired Activist with Unite the Union where I still make a difference since at the monthly meeting we now have other officers attending since if 30 people attend our branch meeting thats around 1200 YEARS EXPERIENCE MINIMUM in different trades.
      You can't buy experience.
  • onebigvoice
    WhatThe said:

OBV,

I had no idea we could try to save ourselves during a heart attack so this is great advice, thank you!
    I've attended first aid courses but never heard of this and wonder why.

Are you St John's trained as you give classes yourself? I know most of them volunteer and do it because they care. 

I've made a difference on two occasions, once on land and once in water  o:)
    (life-saving skills learned many moons ago) 

Yes I was.  As a Senior health and Safety Officer I lectured on many things, within the work place.  I was also a lecturer in SUB Aqua Diving, being a sports Diver as well Club Diving Officer.
      We trained at the Old Empire Pool in Cardiff so training in rescue and the use of Sub Aqua gear was great.
    The whole idea of First Aid is exactly what it says on the box..... FIRST AID.  You find yourself in a situation and there is you and the Victim.  being able to ASSESS THE SITUATION FIRST saves lives as well, having rescued an electrician in a 33KV Sub Station where and explosion took place.  If you practice something, its like going into auto pilot.
      If reading this is have stimulated your interest in First Aid, or you just want to get a little insite on how to protect your family at home, like wiring a simple plug, but not knowing the order or colours and where they should go, sounds funny but I have seen people reverse the Earth and Neutrol?  Sounds OK?  What do you think will happen?
      There is loads of help if you know where to look.

• WhatThe
    edited January 1

That's impressive and I'm impressed!

I do enjoy lifeboat search and rescue programmes and of course there's always a happy ending :) I learned life-saving in the sea and agree that you don't forget what to do in an emergency because it's ingrained. Did some easy cave-diving but never dived.

The Thai cave rescue in 2018 and resilience of those boys was magnificent - tragically, one ended his life here in the UK less than a year ago  :(  

Health & Safety in the Civil Service or have I muddled you with another member?

I learned HASAWA and notice hazards in the built environment and pick up things on supermarket floors, find someone if I notice a spill, move rubbish off the road - I can't help it  ;)

• WhatThe

Sorry no! Just caving not diving 
  • onebigvoice
      I do not like to blow my own trumpet, as this is not why I did all these things.  I became a Shop Steward at the early age of 18 in 1968, where I was taught to use the skills I already had plus build on them.  So to do that in becoming a Union repreaentative I had more chance of getting things changed, because the Employer also realised that if you look after your employees your employees will look after you.  After all they are the ones that make you the money.
      At 74 this year I will be going back to University to reestablish some of the certification I have two of the courses in Law I will do together.  You would not believe considering I have mental issues, that do hold me back, but I intend to make sure that the knowlege I have is passed on.
      Hence the Retired Section of Unite allows me access to broarder issues like pensions and the tax laws on why its classed as un earned income?  Or Candour when applied to Third Party Contractors, and what they should be doing under that contract and the consequences of what happens if they don't.
      I have had great success on this.  And now want to have access to the Welsh Senedd to get our voice as disabled or people out of work on medical issues and pensions entitlements.   

Sorry as you can see I am passionate about it, as it keeps me busy and my brain working....
    My New Years resolutions:  Make a bigger difference and get accountability of actions where we are being denighed access to benefits that we are entitled to.  
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 3,869 Online Community Coordinator
    That sounds like a good resolution @onebigvoice, good luck with your studying!