Remembering a date — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remembering a date

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
When we remember historical dates it's usually because of school, because of adverts (anyone else get Hastings 1066 stuck in their head?) or because it makes such an impact on you.

Today, on 15th April 1912, the RMS Titanic sank in the North Atlantic Ocean. It's an event that had an impact on me since my school years and a date that I always remember. 

I woke this morning to read an article that has made me feel conflicted. 

Seen in The Metro, the article reports how a plan used in the inquiry investigating the ship’s sinking, is up for auction. With a possibility of it fetching upwards of £200,000 it raises many questions for me.

Why was it allowed to be sold to a private collector in the first place? and Why is it allowed to be sold again?

This plan of the HMS Titanic has been on display at the Titanic Exhibition in Belfast since 2012 and seen by millions of people. I feel, although it was commissioned for the inquiry, it has historical value and should be treated as such.

What do you think? Should the plans continue to stay at the Titanic Exhibition? 
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,436 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would say it should stay or at least a copy of it  maybe they need the funds if its owned by the museum. I would like to go there 1 day
  • Hannah_Alumni
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I can understand them needing the funds. I can't imagine how much it would cost to keep it in good condition!
    It's just such a shame they have to buy and sell these historical pieces. Renting to other museums would be beneficial as then those who cannot travel could get to see them. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it should stay at the Exhibition to be shared by everyone not just owned by someone rich enough to buy it. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,436 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think if they kept a copy on display then people could still see it
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 20,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Even museums who have legal title to collection items cannot freely reproduce these items unless they have authorisation from the rights owner.

https://www.copyrightuser.org/educate/intermediaries/museums-and-galleries
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Beaver79 I didn't know that, it's quite common to make a digital archive of collections so I wonder if that would fall under a different purview?
    Hannah - She / Her

• Beaver79
    Options
    Not sure @Hannah_Scope Copyright is a mine field.
  • rebel11
    rebel11 Community member Posts: 1,662 Pioneering
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Beaver79 I didn't know that, it's quite common to make a digital archive of collections so I wonder if that would fall under a different purview?
    I agree with it 100%. There are war torn countries that have been trying to reconstruct 'digital museums', simply because they can't preserve their heritage and culture any other way, because the actual museum has been destroyed and artifacts has been stolen. Once the Meta universe is created we will all be 'zeros and ones' and emiersed in the experience.   :)

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/mar/23/10-of-the-worlds-best-virtual-museum-and-art-gallery-tours
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @Beaver79 It is indeed! I have many friends with their own businesses and when they see licensed characters being used on Etsy or other websites they always wonder how they get away with it. 

@rebel11 That's an amazing article, thank you for sharing :) I think I'll be travelling through Rome later! 
    I've had discussions before about seeing it virtually vs seeing it in real life vs seeing a copy and there is always the opinion that seeing the real thing in person is the best, but being able to see it at all is an opportunity you can't pass up. 
    Hannah - She / Her

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't really have an opinion as I don't believe I have enough knowledge on the subject to form one.

However one thing I would ask...

If the sale of any item with historical value was to be banned, who decides what has historical value?

There are lots and lots of items sold every day that could have historical value. Like items belonging to famous people, items from war, cars.

Classic cars are a good example. If it got to a point where only one example of a classic car remained in the world, it has historical importance, should it be preserved somewhere and not allowed to be sold?

Just something I was wondering. Not intending to start an argument. :)
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    No that's a very good point @66Mustang! Especially as thinking about it, if you have Disney Plus, there is a series called Props. I didn't realise how many people have movie and tv memorabilia and how the value to one person vs another was so different. Disney have tried to get as much of it back, not realising the impact Disney would have on so many. 

I think, if the piece in question is of historical value, i.e. something that tells us about the past, shows how the past lived, what they wore, their form of entertainment, their way of defending, cooking...etc then I think the value of that shouldn't have a monetary price tag. It's world history. Like with this map, it's part of a inquiry into a historical event.

But memorabilia like you mentioned, if it is someone's to give away or to sell then I feel that would be up to the person. 

I don't know much about cars I'm afraid :D , but agree if there is only one left it should be preserved. 
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.