PIP change of circumstance after getting prosthesis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP change of circumstance after getting prosthesis

Options
davidb2010
davidb2010 Scope Member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I had a below knee amputation in January and applied for PIP. Am pleased to say I was given an enhanced award in both categories.
However, I am about to start the process of physio & rehab at my local hospital with a view to getting a prosthetic leg.
I am worried that this will affect my PIP entitlement as I have read many horror stories of the DWP treating people who use prosthetics as being able-bodied ?
Anybody have any knowledge or experience in this area ?
Thanks !

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello there @davidb2010 and welcome, pleased to hear you've been awarded PIP. You'll only need to report a change in circumstances if and when:
    • your personal details change, for example your name, address or doctor
    • the help you need or your condition changes
    • your condition has worsened and you’re not expected to live more than 12 months
    • you go into hospital or a care home
    • you go abroad
    • you’re imprisoned or held in detention
    • your immigration status has changed, if you’re not a British citizen
    A prothesis is an aid for you, but it will not make you 'able-bodied'. You still have to live with and manage your below the knee amputation day to day, which I'm sure has a significant impact on your ability to carry out the tasks you've been assessed for in PIP. 

If you feel after living with it for a while, that the prosthesis changes the help you need, then you could report a change of circumstances, but be mindful that if you are reassessed your award might be less, or it may stay the same. 

Let us know if we can help with anything further :) 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.