If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP MR decision remains the same

Options
Kringle
Kringle Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited April 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I am new here - just had my MR decision notice dated 8th Apr (the Saturday of Bank Holiday weekend?!) and no change to the decision, even though the nice lady I had spoken to on the phone said my MR letter was very good. My question is have I got anything to lose by going to Appeal? I feel like I have a case for a higher award but I am really worried that I could risk losing the Standard award I have currently. Also there is no way I could attend/speak at a court ... Could I pull out of the process before the Tribunal date itself? I just don't know what to do I'd be really grateful for any advice!

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Kringle - & welcome to the community. Unfortunately there's usually no change with a MR, so you can appeal to a Tribunal as you know. With a Tribunal it's like a fresh start, & your award can change. However you have nothing to lose as, if the Tribunal feel you should get a lower award, they will warn you at the time, & then you obviously wouldn't want to proceed.
    You could also decide at any time that you don't wish to continue with a Tribunal before the date of your hearing.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Paper based hearings for Tribunals have a very low success rate of between 3-5%. For the best chance of a decision in your favour you should either request a telephone/video hearing or appear in person. Doing either of those will give you about a 73% success rate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kringle
    Options
    Thanks so much yes I will request the telephone/video/in person option, although I feel far too stressed to be able to actually go through with it ... hence my trying to decide whether just to be grateful and accept what I've got. I realise reading here that the process really does not help if you already have anxiety! @chiarieds when you say that Tribunal would warn me at the time if they are considering a lower/no award at what point do you mean? Would it be just after the appeal application? Sorry for the questions but its really important to me that there is no risk of me losing my current award ... I'm new to all this and its such a relief just talking about it as neither my partner or friends have been through it so I've just been dealing with it on my own after some initial contact with Citizens Advice.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    During your actual Tribunal, if they consider lowering your award at all, they will warn you before doing so, so you would then not proceed, & would keep the award you currently have. Sorry that wasn't clear.
  • Kringle
    Options
    Ah I see -thanks that really good to know! I will summon up the energy to apply online - theres so many different guides but from what I can see I just need to fill in an appeal form online or by post.
  • Kringle
    Options
    Sorry my other question was would the DWP really look at a case on a Saturday? My MR decision was made on a Saturday but I did not even know they worked on a weekend, let alone Easter weekend?!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,246 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, sometimes decision makers work weekends and bank holidays if there's large backlogs.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kringle
    Options
    Everyone is so helpful, thankyou! I'm so glad I found this site :smile:
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.