Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Universal Credit LCWRA help!!

lebarel96 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I’ve been unable to work for a couple years due to physical impairments and have been claiming PIP and Universal Credit’s LCWRA.

im just wondering as my partner has just moved in, we’ve let all the appropriate party’s know of the change and I was told I would be losing some money as my partner works.

i was just wondering if anyone knows exactly what and how much I’m going to lose? Will I lose PIP? Also how much UC will I lose? I’m told 55p to every £1 mt partner earns will be taken off.

does this include my normal UC entitlement as well as the LCWRA? Could I receive nothing because of this?


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,990 Disability Gamechanger
    LCWRA is part of UC. Once you reported the change of circumstances for UC you should have been sent a linking code. Your partner will have then needed to start a claim for UC theirself and then use the linking code you were sent. This will then join both claims together.

    You will have the work allowance, which means a certain amount of earnings will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with any rent your work allowance will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month.

    If your PIP includes the daily living part and your partner looks after you for at least 35 hours per week then they can claim carers element of UC. There's no earnings limit with this like there is with carers allowance (providing no one else claims either of them for looking after you) They will need to report a change of circumstances and report caring for you. Your UC maximum entitlement will increase by a further £185.86/month.

    Whether there's any entitlement to UC after the earnings deduction will depend on your joint circumstances. You can use a benefits calculator to check entitlement and put both your details into it.

    PIP won't be affected.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.