If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council saying PIP must be used for rent shortfall

Options
NiksMum
NiksMum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, my son whose rent is paid by housing benefit has had his rent increased, his housing benefit is the maximum he can get. He has applied for a discretionary housing payment but the council want him to explain in detail how he spends his PIP so they can judge whether he must use it to pay his rent. Anyone had experience of this? I thought you could spend PIP on whatever you wanted and not have to account for it. I cannot find anything online though which says this.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,096 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are correct you can use PIP for what ever you want to. However, when applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) it's exactly this (discretionary) and no one is automatically entitled to it.

They will look at your Income (including any disability benefit) and your outgoings and then make a decision based on those.

It isn't an easy or straight forward process to apply for a DHP and mostly they are only awarded in the most extreme circumstances. If you do manage to get a payment then usually it's only for a short period of time before you have to reapply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • NiksMum
    NiksMum Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.